HELP - Macros are not running on ......

amflores

Board Regular
I just finished installing Excel 2000 on a new computer, with the same "Personal.xls" I copied from my old system.
Now, when I run my old macros on the new machine, I receive this message:

"A document with the name of "Personal.xls" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if documents are in different folders........",

and I cannot run the macros.
How to solve this problem?
Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers :(

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi amflores,

I think that's because Excel automatically creates the Personal.xls file once you first record a macro to it, and it is always opened with Excel, so you're trying to open two of the same thing. Try renaming the personal.xls you backed up, open it up, and then cut and paste the code into the personal.xls module that Excel automatically created. Do this through the vb editor.

Hope this helps,
Corticus

Upvote 0
It looks as if you put your copy in the wrong location. Search for Personal.xls to find where Excel is putting its original and replace that with your copy.

HTH

Peter

Upvote 0
bat17 said:
It looks as if you put your copy in the wrong location. Search for Personal.xls to find where Excel is putting its original and replace that with your copy.

HTH

Peter

It should be noted that this would overwrite any macros in your new personal.xls file. You might not want to do that.

The personal.xls file is located here, in Office2000 on WinXP:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\personal.xls
You will need to replace UserName with your user name.

This file does not exist until you first record a macro to it, which is why I suspect you might not want to write over it.

This file is always opened with Excel.

-Corticus

Upvote 0
Hello Corticus,

I think I simply replaced the newly created/untouched Personal.xls with a copy of the old one.

It was placed here:
C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\personal.xls

It doesn't work.

Try renaming the personal.xls you backed up, open it up, and then cut and paste the code into the personal.xls module that Excel automatically created. Do this through the vb editor. I am not familiar with the VB Editor. I am afraid to use it. Sorry.

What do I do? :cry:

Upvote 0
Hello Corticus

1 - It should be noted that this would overwrite any macros in your new personal.xls file. You might not want to do that.
I agree. I did not write any macro to the new personal.xls file.
I simply replaced it w/a copy of the old one, right after install.

2 - The personal.xls file is located here, in Office2000 on WinXP:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\personal.xls
That's where the copy was placed. Found no other personal.xls.

You will need to replace UserName with your user name. Sure

Still doesn't work.
I keep getting that same message when I try to use my old macros.

Cheers :oops:

Upvote 0
did you try the search to see where the two copies are that are trying to load?

Peter

Upvote 0
Hello Peter,

1 - Did you try the search to see where the two copies are that are trying to load?
Yes. I have (2) partitions on my HD. (C:>) for the system and programs. The other ( E:>), for documents, data, etc..
Yes, I have a 2nd HD with 2 partitions used mostly for bkups.
The search found:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent\personal.xls.LNK
The first, I believe is a copy of my old one: I can open/edit (but not run) all of my old macros.

Regards, :oops:

Upvote 0
"Recent\personal.xls.LNK" is just a shortcut to the main file. I think we have another problem here. Are you running these macros from a toolbar? I suspect that there may be a difference in path between your old instalation and this new one.

Peter

Upvote 0
First, open the renamed personal.xls you backed up,

To open the VB editor, hit Alt+F11 once in Excel. Now hit Ctrl+R, this will bring up the project explorer. On the left you should see two folders, one called personal.xls, and one called whatever you renamed the old personal.xls file. Double click on the old personal.xls file, copy everything out of the module that pops up. Then open the new personal.xls moule and paste everything in you copied.

Hope this helps,
Corticus

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back