Eval function without the morefunc add-in

This is a discussion on Eval function without the morefunc add-in within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I have used the EVAL function in my spreadsheet. However, I will need to send this file to a number ...

Board Regular

Default Eval function without the morefunc add-in

I have used the EVAL function in my spreadsheet. However, I will need to send this file to a number of people who probably don't have this add-in installed. Is there someway I can use this function without making it necessary for the user to have this add-in?

Thanks.

Default Re: Eval function without the morefunc add-in

Quote Originally Posted by rajat_magic
    I have used the EVAL function in my spreadsheet. However, I will need to send this file to a number of people who probably don't have this add-in installed. Is there someway I can use this function without making it necessary for the user to have this add-in?

Thanks.
    You can invoke the following udf in VBA instead, which you need to add to your workbook as a module:

Function Eval(Ref As String)
    Application.Volatile
    Eval = Evaluate(Ref)
    End Function

Do keep in mind that access to the EVAL function was intentionally removed by MS as a major security risk. Are you sure you want to reinstate access for anyone who opens your workbook?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tusharm
    Do keep in mind that access to the EVAL function was intentionally removed by MS as a major security risk. Are you sure you want to reinstate access for anyone who opens your workbook?

Thanks.
    You need to elaborate this and also state whether it equally involves EVAL of the morefunc add-in. As far as I know, EVAL in Lisp is never considered a security risk, for example.

Board Regular

Thanks guys. I also figured that if its available in VBA, it might be possible to define it as a name as well. Tried it, and its working...

Does anyone have any background on what kind of security risks this may lead to, and in what conditions? Thanks.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others