Eval function without the morefunc add-in

rajat_magic

Board Regular
I have used the EVAL function in my spreadsheet. However, I will need to send this file to a number of people who probably don't have this add-in installed. Is there someway I can use this function without making it necessary for the user to have this add-in?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
rajat_magic said:
I have used the EVAL function in my spreadsheet. However, I will need to send this file to a number of people who probably don't have this add-in installed. Is there someway I can use this function without making it necessary for the user to have this add-in?

Thanks.

You can invoke the following udf in VBA instead, which you need to add to your workbook as a module:

Function Eval(Ref As String)
Application.Volatile
Eval = Evaluate(Ref)
End Function

Upvote 0
Do keep in mind that access to the EVAL function was intentionally removed by MS as a major security risk. Are you sure you want to reinstate access for anyone who opens your workbook?
rajat_magic said:

Thanks.

Upvote 0
tusharm said:
Do keep in mind that access to the EVAL function was intentionally removed by MS as a major security risk. Are you sure you want to reinstate access for anyone who opens your workbook?
rajat_magic said:

Thanks.

You need to elaborate this and also state whether it equally involves EVAL of the morefunc add-in. As far as I know, EVAL in Lisp is never considered a security risk, for example.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I also figured that if its available in VBA, it might be possible to define it as a name as well. Tried it, and its working...

Does anyone have any background on what kind of security risks this may lead to, and in what conditions? Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back