Personal Macro Workbook in Startup Folder must stay open for recording

thewoodington

Board Regular
Hi Guys,

I am in a panic, I turned on my work computer this mornign to find none of my macros are on there any more. Where have they gone?

I clicked the record button see if it would at least let me install some of my older versions and this came up:

"Personal Macro Workbook in Startup Folder must stay open for recording"

Have I lost all of them? Is there a way to restore them?

Hope you can help.

Kind regards

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
By defualt when you start to record a macro it shows you Store Macro in This Workbook when you change this to the Personal Workbook you then would need to use the View Tab to Unhide the Personal Macro Workbook.xlsb.

The workbook can be found in this location.

C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\personal.xlsb

If you search for this workbook through your windows explorer it should show it in this location. Then double click to open it, and if you have been storing all your VBA code in the Personal Workbook then it will be in the workbook.

Upvote 0
Thanks Trevor,

I managed to get them all back. It seems Excel had disabled the personal.xls. I went to add-ins in options and clicked to see any disabled items and personal.xls was there. I have now enabled it and it now works.

Why would it change my personal.xls to disabled I have been using the macros in there for months? I did edit one of them yesterday, I guess they made an effect?

Upvote 0
Pleased to read you have them back,

Perhaps an additional note. From the Personal workbook in the VBA screen Export each Module sheet into a Folder and then if anything else happens to it then you can Import the module sheets back into any workbook.

What I use is something like this. A Named Folder called Module Library

From each workbook that I have VBA in I name each module sheet and add a month year stamp then export them into the Folder, that gives me back up and also a single location to look at if I need to use the code in another workbook.

Names like

modIFStatementsApril2012
modCaseStatementsApril2012
modPublicConstsApril2012

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information.

I will try and do that to keep macros backed up.

What a stress full morning. Thanks guys, have a good day!

Upvote 0
Trevor G - I can't thank you enough!! My macro's disappeared this morning. I tried recovering them through excel options to no avail and thought they were gone but happily I stumbled across your post and managed to find them. Thanks again buddy!

Upvote 0
Pleased to read you found a solution through searching the forum.

Upvote 0
This thread helped me today with the March 1, 2017 update for Office 365 / Excel 2016. Thanks!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back