Using the Split function in VBA

AD_Taylor

Is there a particular reason when using the Split function that you can't assign the result to a variable already created as an array?

For instance with the active cell having this value:

cat/dog/moose/badger/wild boar

I tried to do something like this:
Code:
Sub prSplit()
    Dim arr() As Variant

arr = Split(ActiveCell.Value, "/")
End Sub

But something like this actually worked and created an array?
Code:
Sub prSplit()
    Dim str As Variant

str = Split(ActiveCell.Value, "/")
End Sub

Seems to spoil my convention a bit, which is to list all variables at the top of the code so by quickly scrolling up I can see what variables are what type and which are arrays and which are not.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hello,

I do know that arrays are trick, however they seem to be getting easier to understand.

I beleive that using the dim statement as a variant does not explicitly accept arrays. You can declare arrays as specific types.

<font face=Franklin Gothic Medium><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> prSplit()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> arr() <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    arr = Split(ActiveCell.Value, "/")<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">LBound</SPAN>(arr) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">UBound</SPAN>(arr)<br>        MsgBox arr(i)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
The problem is that the Split function returns a String array. When your declaration was this...

Dim arr() As Variant

it meant that arr was going to be assigned an array of Variants (the parentheses force arr to be an array)... a String array is not an array of Variants, rather it is an array of Strings, so you get a Type Mismatch error. However, when your declaration was this...

Dim str As Variant

it meant that str was a simple Variant variable and, as such, could be assigned anything... a Long, a String, a Double, an Object, an array of any kind, etc. Since the Split function returns a String array, it could be assigned to a simple Variant variable. All though you did not ask, there is one other declaration you could have used...

Dim str() As String

This declaration means str can be assigned an array of Strings and, since this is exactly what the Split function returns, you could make that assignment to it...

str = Split(ActiveCell.Value, "/")

Upvote 0
Thanks both for the explanation! and thanks very much to Rick for the great detail! :biggrin:

I'd mistakenly assumed an array of variants operated like a group of single variants in that any element of the array could be any variable type.

Will bear this in mind in future, thanks again
Adam

Upvote 0
I'd mistakenly assumed an array of variants operated like a group of single variants in that any element of the array could be any variable type.
You are not mistaken... that is exactly what an array of variants does, but that is not what you were doing. When you made this declaration...

Dim arr() As Variant

and then followed it up with this...

arr = Split(ActiveCell.Value, "/")

you were attempting to force the entire declared array of variants into an array of Strings... you were not assigning the String array to any one element of the Variant array. To do that, your code would have had to look something like this...

Dim arr() As Variant
ReDim arr(1 To 5)
arr(1) = Split(ActiveCell.Value, "/")

Note the distinction... each element of the Variant array can contain anything including an entire String array (here, only the first element is being assigned that... there are still another 4 elements that have nothing assigned to them yet), but arr itself cannot because it can only be directly assigned another array of Variants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back