Index Match duplicate values

2SweetPete

Hello all.

I have a 2007 workbook with two sheets. Sheet2 contains a Payee Name, Vendor ID (unique) and Address (150 rows). Sheet1 contains the same headers, plus some extra data input fields. The structure of Sheet1 cannot be changed -- it's used for an upload. I have all of the Payee names in a range as well as the Vendor IDs.

Sheet2:
ABC
1PAYEEIDADDRESS
2CIGNA43PO BOX 120
3CIGNA4051150 WEST PERSHING RD
4CINCINNATI INSURANCE COMPANY389PO BOX 2020
5CONSECO41186 US HIGHWAY 51

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have a drop down list on Sheet1 in Col B with all of the Payee names. I'd like to be able to select a company from the list and have the Vendor ID populate in the cell to the left, and the address to the right. I can accomplish this with VLOOKUP, but it won't work for duplicate values. I've tried to use INDEX MATCH, but I also can't get it to work for duplicates. If you choose the second CIGNA from the list, the ID and Address remain the same.

Sheet1:
ABC
1IDPAYEEADDRESS
243CIGNAPO BOX 120
343CIGNAPO BOX 120

<tbody>
</tbody>

Does anyone know of a way I can get this to work without changing the names of the payees (CIGNA, CIGNA2)? I've looked at array formulas, but nothing I've tried has worked. I always seem to get foiled by the duplicates.

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hello all.

I have a 2007 workbook with two sheets. Sheet2 contains a Payee Name, Vendor ID (unique) and Address (150 rows). Sheet1 contains the same headers, plus some extra data input fields. The structure of Sheet1 cannot be changed -- it's used for an upload. I have all of the Payee names in a range as well as the Vendor IDs.

Sheet2:
A
B
C
PAYEE
ID
ADDRESS
CIGNA
PO BOX 120
CIGNA
1150 WEST PERSHING RD
CINCINNATI INSURANCE COMPANY
PO BOX 2020
CONSECO
186 US HIGHWAY 51

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

I have a drop down list on Sheet1 in Col B with all of the Payee names. I'd like to be able to select a company from the list and have the Vendor ID populate in the cell to the left, and the address to the right. I can accomplish this with VLOOKUP, but it won't work for duplicate values. I've tried to use INDEX MATCH, but I also can't get it to work for duplicates. If you choose the second CIGNA from the list, the ID and Address remain the same.

Sheet1:
A
B
C
ID
PAYEE
ADDRESS
CIGNA
PO BOX 120
CIGNA
PO BOX 120

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Does anyone know of a way I can get this to work without changing the names of the payees (CIGNA, CIGNA2)? I've looked at array formulas, but nothing I've tried has worked. I always seem to get foiled by the duplicates.

Thanks everyone!!
Do you have the duplicates in your drop down list? If so, there's no way to distinguish which one you select even though they may be considered to be in "logical order".

I think your idea about using Cigna1 and Cigna2 is about as good as you'll be able to do.

Upvote 0
Do you have the duplicates in your drop down list? If so, there's no way to distinguish which one you select even though they may be considered to be in "logical order".

I think your idea about using Cigna1 and Cigna2 is about as good as you'll be able to do.

Yeah, the duplicates exist in my drop down. This information has to be uploaded into a different system, so the names of the Payees can't be changed (to CIGNA1,CIGNA2)... that's just the only way I've gotten it to work.

Upvote 0
Can you create a new column on sheet 2.
This formula should copy the names in column A, but duplicates will get 2, 3, 4 and so on after their names.
Then you can use that column in your Data Validation List.
=IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2)>1,A2&COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2),A2)
Put this in the second row and copy down.

Vidar

Upvote 0
Can you create a new column on sheet 2.
This formula should copy the names in column A, but duplicates will get 2, 3, 4 and so on after their names.
Then you can use that column in your Data Validation List.
=IF(COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2)>1,A2&COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2),A2)
Put this in the second row and copy down.

Vidar

Unfortunately, I have to keep the Payee Name list correct. Is there any way that the data validation list could display CIGNA 1, CIGNA 2 and still retain the "value" of CIGNA? I don't think so without the use of another column for VLOOKUP.

Upvote 0
One solution is to insert a "Form Control" "Combo Box" instead of Data Validation. Set it "Input Range" property to column with Payee,
And "Cell Link" to somewhere else. The index number of the list item you choose from the Combo Box will show in that cell.
And with that index number you can use INDEX to get to the correct row.

Vidar

Upvote 0
Maybe this will help some.
This will show each duplicate payee (1 at a time) from a drop down list in B1.
Copy formulas in row 3 down as many rows that you need. It will show blank if there is no data.

These are array formulas and need to be entered with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER

Sheet1

A
B
C
D
CIGNA
ID
PAYEE
ADDRESS
CIGNA
PO BOX 120
CIGNA
1150 WEST PERSHING RD

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Spreadsheet Formulas
Cell
Formula
A3
{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A3)<=COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,$B$1),INDEX(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$5,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2)+1),ROWS($A$3:A3))),"")}
B3
{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A3)<=COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,$B$1),INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2)+1),ROWS($A$3:A3))),"")}
C3
{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A3)<=COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,$B$1),INDEX(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2)+1),ROWS($A$3:A3))),"")}
A4
{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A4)<=COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,$B$1),INDEX(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$5,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2)+1),ROWS($A$3:A4))),"")}
B4
{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A4)<=COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,$B$1),INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2)+1),ROWS($A$3:A4))),"")}
C4
{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A4)<=COUNTIF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,$B$1),INDEX(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5=$B$1,ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2)+1),ROWS($A$3:A4))),"")}

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Formula Array:
Produce enclosing
{ } by entering
formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER!

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Data Validation in Spreadsheet
Cell
Allow
Datas
Input 1
Input 2
B1
List
=Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Sheet2

A
B
C
D
PAYEE
ID
ADDRESS
CIGNA
PO BOX 120
CIGNA
1150 WEST PERSHING RD
CINCINNATI INSURANCE COMPANY
PO BOX 2020
CONSECO
186 US HIGHWAY 51

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's close. However, Sheet1 is for data entry. I need to input a different Payee on each line. Is there any way to store the duplicates within a list in A1? I found a VBA script that would work if I was able to get the duplicate nth value (1,2,3). I'm just sort of grasping at straws at this point.

The combo box was close as well... but it didn't store any actual value within the cell.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Upvote 0
This may be a little late but does this work:

Excel 2012
ABCD
1IDPAYEEADDRESS
243CIGNAPO BOX 120
3405CIGNA1150 WEST PERSHING RD
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2{=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$B$2:$B$5, SMALL(IF(B2=Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5, ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2)+1), ROW(1:1))),"" )}
C2{=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$5, SMALL(IF(B2=Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5, ROW(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)-ROW(Sheet2!$A$2)+1), ROW(1:1))),"" )}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back