Results 1 to 5 of 5

Paste only into blank cells...

This is a discussion on Paste only into blank cells... within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I have a worksheet with 929 rows of 26 columns. Appx 75% of the fields are populated but the other ...

  1. #1
    Board Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Deep In The Heart
    Posts
    85

    Default Paste only into blank cells...

    I have a worksheet with 929 rows of 26 columns. Appx 75% of the fields are populated but the other 25% are blank. I need to send this spreadsheet out to other offices to get them to fill in the blanks that they are responsible for. I have created drop down lists for each column that has blanks in it to help them enter their data easier. I want to copy the created drop down list cell and paste it into the blanks for each column. Is there a way to do this without scrolling down through each of the 929 rows and sticky selecting only the blank cells and then pasting? In other words, is there a way to copy and then paste into only the empty cells of a range?

    Hook Em

  2. #2
    MrExcel MVP TommyGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Clear Lake, TX
    Posts
    4,202

    Default Re: Paste only into blank cells...

    Not sure if this wil work, but if you copy from the file that you sent out, and then do a PasteSpecial|Skip Blanks back into your master file, this should work. Test it and see if it gives the desired results.

    If not, then we might need to look at a VBA solution.

  3. #3
    Board Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Deep In The Heart
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Paste only into blank cells...

    TommyGun - thanks for the reply. I believe that will work well for consolidating my data after I get it back but I am trying to prepare the sheet to send out to them to fill out and send back.

    I thought the drop down boxes would help them enter their data faster and easier. I hoped their might be a quick way to paste the drop down boxes into the empty cells without going through all 929 rows one column at a time.

    Hook Em

  4. #4
    MrExcel MVP Tom Urtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    San Francisco, California USA
    Posts
    11,008

    Default Re: Paste only into blank cells...

    If I follow you correctly, why don't you:

    (1)
    Copy the cell with the drop-down (presumably it's a data validated cell)

    (2)
    Select the range of interest that contains blanks.

    (3)
    Click Edit > GoTo > Special > select Blanks, click OK.

    (4)
    Click Edit > Paste.

    You can do it with a macro I guess, if you have 26 different drop-downs for 26 columns, but if it's just 1 drop down for the entire range, the above steps would do that in a snap. Any help or did I miss the boat on the question?

  5. #5
    Board Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Deep In The Heart
    Posts
    85

    Default Re: Paste only into blank cells...

    Perfect help - you are the Captain of the boat! This worked perfectly - I never knew you could do that. Thank you very much for your response.

    Hook Em

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


DMCA.com