Can't select rows or columns by clicking on headings

Novelec

Board Regular
Hi guys,

I'm in the final stages of creating a workbook, but along the way I've inadvertently made some odd changes to some of the sheets.

For context, the workbook has protection but it is unlocked, and it also has a fairly substantial amount of VBA attached. As far as I am aware, none of the VBA relates to the problem I am having.

Some sheets are missing columns. They are not hidden, rather just missing all together!? On one sheet for example, the column headings stop completely after column "U" - No columns appears afterward. I've searched Mr Excel, as well as other forums, and tried every suggestion I can find relating to un-hiding them, unfreezing panes, etc. Nothing has worked for me yet.

These sheets also prevent me from selecting a column or row by clicking on the row/column heading. When I click a heading, or try to select multiple rows or headings (clicking and dragging along the desired rows/columns headings), the active cell remains highlighted (instead of highlighting the selected column/s or row/s), and nothing else happens. I can still hide/unhide rows on these sheets, but only using the position of the active cell.

To save a lot of back and forth explanation on an odd error, is there a way I can attach my sheet to this thread for inspection...?

As always, everyone's help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Two things to try
1. Press F8 and then see if that helps
2. Adjust the Zoom on the worksheet, to say 25%, save and close....reopen and set back to 100%.

HTH

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Michael,

I already tried playing with the selection extension (tried again just to be sure), and had no luck. The zooming method didn't work either...

:(

Thanks all the same.

Any other ideas...?

EDIT:

After using the zoom method and reloading the saved file, I forgot to unprotect the sheet... :p

I can now select my columns and rows (Woot!!), but still have the issue of hidden columns.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Geez, only other things I can think of are....
1. Click on the Intersect point where the column headers meet the row headers....that will highlight the whole sheet.....now right click on a column header and select Unhide
2. Make sure the Worksheet is unprotected as well as the workbook.

otherwise I'm outta luck !!

Upvote 0
Fixed...!

Can't believe I didn't think of that...

You are my hero!

:biggrin:

Thanks very much Michael.

Just curious - Do you know the reasoning for the zooming in/out...? Is this just one of Excel's known bugs?

Upvote 0
Didn't think of what ??....:confused:

Which answer fixed the prob ?

And no, I have no idea why the zoom works.....but I don't like to call these things bugs.....but that's just me I guess ...(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back