Barcode scanning with Excel

Chief1904

My office is trying to go paperless with our hunting program and issue ID cards with bar codes. I'm trying to have a barcode scanner be able to scan the ID card and pull up their information in excel or access. How can I do this? My boss doesn't want to spend $12,000 on a full setup of software and hardware. Any help would be great!

Hi,

I wondered if you could help me with a similar problem.

I would like to be able to scan a barcode and it automatically takes one from the quantity column of the corresponding record. My column headers are barcode, Item ID, size, column, price, quantity,

Is this possible? It would have to locate the barcode to the record, then take 1 from the quantity column.

Thanks a lot
Rebecca

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to the board.

I am sure that is doable.

Can you link an example workbook here. (You cannot attach workbooks)

And in plain terms describe what you want to happen and where, refer to sheets, columns and row or cells as appropriate.

Howard

Upvote 0
Our company needs to scan a pallet label with separate bar code that consist of product code, net weight (of a pallet) and pallet # for a FTL consist of 22 pallets for every outgoing shipment. If we buy a bar code scanner and plug in to computer after scanning the 22 pallets, how can the data transform into the excel column we needed?

Also is it possible to to scan several FTL before downloading the info into computer? Will that mix up the data? Your help is really appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2h23m06ssg8d29/Untitled.png?dl=0

Upvote 0
Sorry want to add below attachment is what our warehouse guy is manually enter the info into excel now. Most of our product's pallets are one size just variable weight. But one product has high and low pallets and the weight variance is greater. Possible to distinguish / separate them but this is not a must. As long as the product code, pallet # and weight can be recorded individually will work. Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iw3xwwk1wc5hz45/Untitled2.png?dl=0

Our company needs to scan a pallet label with separate bar code that consist of product code, net weight (of a pallet) and pallet # for a FTL consist of 22 pallets for every outgoing shipment. If we buy a bar code scanner and plug in to computer after scanning the 22 pallets, how can the data transform into the excel column we needed?

Also is it possible to to scan several FTL before downloading the info into computer? Will that mix up the data? Your help is really appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2h23m06ssg8d29/Untitled.png?dl=0

Upvote 0
Hi Rebecca,

Do you actually have a workbook that has data scanned into it?

Or are you asking how to scan into an Excel workbook?

I have no scanner nor have any useful information on their operational can and cannot do's.

Anything I can try to help you with is data scanned into Excel, and when scanned into Excel acts like a data entry as if you actually typed the info into a cell and hit Enter. I usually use a data validation drop down in a certain cell to "simulate" a data scan-in.

Once scanned into (or selected from the drop down) then we can do with the cell entry (scanned entry) whatever is needed.

Howard

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have seen you post about excel inventories and was wondering if you have any examples to help me out i am trying to do an asset inventory of products that we have that will have printed labels on with barcodes and would like to be able to scan them with a barcode reader and locate them on the spread sheet.

Thanks in advance for your help.

James

Upvote 0
Hi Howard,
I wonder if you could help me with any advice regarding my workbook.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/14ysmfkeq2ufv1j/mrexcel.xlsx?dl=0

The idea is that raw data is entered with a barcode scanner(columns C,E,G), I create barcodes and give them values (ex: "A FEB1616 L001", where "A" is shipper ID, "FEB1616" is date when recieved the shipment, "L" is the size of the product and "001" individual number for each product)
I have no problem entering data in excel with the scanner (you mentioned, you don't have much info with these operations), what I'm interested in is to create a relation between tables lets say...
1. so when I want to enter more products in "Group1" (Column "C") I won't have to scroll altheway down and click below last scanned product and scan the rest... if it possible just to click and enter data in cell "Input Group1" (A2) and that value to be automatically transferred to table "Group1" (Column "C") and so on for others groups...
2. and one more thing if possible of course: I would like to automatically sort the products by size in each group lets say in table "Group1 Small" (Column "i") will lookup in "Group1" (Column "C") and find the values that have 4th character from right letter "S" and put it in "Small" Column... and so on "M" for medium and "L" for large...
Thank You in advanced!

Alex

*the idea is flexible so any changes to improve will be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi James,

Barcode readers and scanner, I know nothing about. What I may be able to help you with is once the barcode or "number" or "string" in entered (scanned) to a cell on a worksheet, it must present itself the same as if you typed the data into the cell and hit ENTER. Once it does that then its off to the races for any number of Excel functions and capabilities, and as in your case, appears to be a fairly simple Worksheet_Change Event macro using perhaps the FIND or SEARCH function to locate a product or number of products.

I often use a drop down in the "scan-in" cell to simulate the scan event and write the formulas or code to that cell.

An example workbook with some detailed instruction of what you want to happen and where it is to happen would be useful.

You can use one of the link utilities to post a link to the sample workbook, I use Drop Box, but there are others. (You cannot attach a workbook here)

Howard

Upvote 0
Hi Alex,

That looks quite doable.

Just to verify, a barcode will be scanned into either A2, A6 or A10 and will look like this bolded example A FEB1616 L001 when it appears on the sheet in one of the Green, Yellow or Blue column A cells.

Then off to either C, E or G.

Then further sorted S, M or L to the color coded columns I over to Q.

My assumption is you want to scan in a single b-code and it is "at-once" listed in C, E, or G and also to the proper I to Q (S M L) column.

Howard

Upvote 0
Hi Howard,
yes that's correct and "at-once" it's even better!
Could you help to create the formula?
Thank You!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sienna de Souza

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back