Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

search a string in an excel cell

This is a discussion on search a string in an excel cell within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; within a single cell I have following character values separated by , VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF, PR ,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO I have a lots ...

Post search a string in an excel cell

within a single cell I have following character values separated by ,

VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO

I have a lots of such entries that vary along the row for the same column no

I want to write a script to check 3 conditions and return the result accordingly

1. If the string contains "US" return 1
    2. If the string contains "UK" return 2
    3. If the string contains "US" and "UK" return 3
    4. If the string contains "US" and "UK" and "FR" return 4

any formula or a VB script to do this effectively for variable rows and fixed column ?

Sanjog

Default Re: search a string in an excel cell

There are probably neater ways, but here's one way.

Returns 0 if none of "US", "UK", or "FR" are found.

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("FR",A1)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("US",A1)+FIND("UK",A1)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("UK",A1)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("US",A1)),0,1),2),3),4)

Note that the FIND function is case sensitive.
    If you want to be case insensitive, use the SEARCH function instead.

Note that if any of the required values are found more than once, it does not treat them differently.

ps - welcome to the board !
    Last edited by Gerald Higgins; Jan 11th, 2013 at 09:13 AM. Reason: To add welcome
    The following is my SIGNATURE. It's not part of any question or solution I'm posting. If it IS your solution, you've got a very weird problem !

Sub Macro()
    ActiveCell = "IY" & Right(Application.Name, 5)
    With ActiveCell.Characters(Start:=2, Length:=1).Font
    .Name = "Webdings"
    .Color = 255
    End With
    End Sub

Board Regular

Sanjog ,

Welcome to the MrExcel forum.

Sample raw data:

Sheet1

AB
    1VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO 
    2VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,UK,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO 
    3VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,FR,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO 
    4VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,UK,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU, PE, AS,CN,CO 
    5VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,FR,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU, PE, AS,CN,CO 
    6VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO 
    7VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,UK,FR,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX, AU,PE, AS,CN,CO 

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

After the macro:

Sheet1

AB
    1VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO1
    2VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,UK,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO2
    3VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,FR,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO 
    4VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,UK,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU, PE, AS,CN,CO3
    5VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,FR,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU, PE, AS,CN,CO1
    6VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX,AU,PE, AS,CN,CO1
    7VN,VI,VE,JP,TH,TW,HK,HM,HN,BR,PH,UM,NI,AR,BO,NZ,SG,KR,KH,ID,UY,SV,AW,US,UK,FR,PY,CR,MY,MF,CX,NF,PR,MO,CA,CC,GT,PA,EC,MX, AU,PE, AS,CN,CO4

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Please TEST this FIRST in a COPY of your workbook (always make a backup copy before trying new code, you never know what you might lose).

1. Copy the below code, by highlighting the code and pressing the keys CTRL + C
    2. Open your workbook
    3. Press the keys ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor
    4. Press the keys ALT + I to activate the Insert menu
    5. Press M to insert a Standard Module
    6. Where the cursor is flashing, paste the code by pressing the keys CTRL + V
    7. Press the keys ALT + Q to exit the Editor, and return to Excel
    8. To run the macro from Excel, open the workbook, and press ALT + F8 to display the Run Macro Dialog. Double Click the macro's name to Run it.

Code:
    Option Explicit
    Sub Check3()
    ' hiker95, 01/11/2013
    ' http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/678706-search-string-excel-cell.html
    Dim ck, s, c As Range, i As Long, n As Long, us As Long, uk As Long, fr As Long
    ck = Array("US", "UK", "FR")
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    For Each c In Range("A1", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
      n = 0: us = 0: uk = 0: fr = 0
      For i = LBound(ck) To UBound(ck)
        If InStr(c, ck(i)) > 0 Then
          n = n + 1
          If ck(i) = "US" Then us = 1
          If ck(i) = "UK" Then uk = 1
          If ck(i) = "FR" Then fr = 1
        End If
      Next i
      Select Case n
        Case 1
          If us = 1 Then c.Offset(, 1) = 1
          If uk = 1 Then c.Offset(, 1) = 2
        Case 2
          If us = 1 And fr = 1 Then c.Offset(, 1) = 1
          If us = 1 And uk = 1 Then c.Offset(, 1) = 3
        Case 3
          If us = 1 And uk = 1 And fr = 1 Then c.Offset(, 1) = 4
      End Select
    Next c
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

Before you use the macro with Excel 2007 or newer, save your workbook, Save As, a macro enabled workbook with the file extension .xlsm

Then run the Check3 macro.
    Have a great day,
    hiker95

Windows 8.1, Excel 2007, on a PC.

Many Thanks. I will try this ASAP.

Here is a UDF (user defined function) that you can use...
    Code:
    Function USUKFR(S As String) As Long
      USUKFR = -(InStr(1, S, "US", vbTextCompare) > 0)
      USUKFR = USUKFR - 2 * (InStr(1, S, "UK", vbTextCompare) > 0)
      If USUKFR = 3 Then USUKFR = USUKFR - (InStr(1, S, "FR", vbTextCompare) > 0)
    End Function
    HOW TO INSTALL UDFs
    ------------------------------------
    If you are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. You can now use USUKFR just like it was a built-in Excel function. For example,

=USUKFR(A1)
    Rick's "mini" blog... http://www.excelfox.com/forum/f22/
    Want to post a small screen shot? Try one of these MrExcel HTML Maker, Excel jeanie or Borders-Copy-Paste

MrExcel MVP

Also try:

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{"US","UK"}&"*"),{1,2})+PRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{"US","UK","FR"}&"*"))
    Kind regards
    PGC

To understand recursion, you must understand recursion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rothstein View Post
    Here is a UDF (user defined function) that you can use...
    Code:
    Function USUKFR(S As String) As Long
    End Function
    HOW TO INSTALL UDFs
    ------------------------------------
    If you are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. You can now use USUKFR just like it was a built-in Excel function. For example,

=USUKFR(A1)
    Actually, if you could have blank cells in the range you apply the above UDF to, then use this version of it as it will return an empty string ("") to the cell instead of returning 0 there...
    Code:
    Function USUKFR(S As String) As Variant
      If Len(S) Then
      Else
        USUKFR = ""
      End If
    End Function
    Also, here is a straight formula that does what you want...

=(COUNTIF(A1,"*US*")>0)+2*(COUNTIF(A1,"*UK*")>0)+((COUNTIF(A1,"*US*")>0)+2*(COUNTIF(A1,"*UK*")>0)=3)*COUNTIF(A1,"*FR*")

and if you could be applying the formula to cells that are blank, then use this version of it...

=IF(A1="","",(COUNTIF(A1,"*US*")>0)+2*(COUNTIF(A1,"*UK*")>0)+((COUNTIF(A1,"*US*")>0)+2*(COUNTIF(A1,"*UK*")>0)=3)*COUNTIF(A1,"*FR*"))
    Want to post a small screen shot? Try one of these MrExcel HTML Maker, Excel jeanie or Borders-Copy-Paste

MrExcel MVP

Hi Rick

Can't you delete the ">0" in your formulas?
    Kind regards
    PGC

Quote Originally Posted by pgc01 View Post
    Hi Rick

Can't you delete the ">0" in your formulas?
    What if there is more than one US or more than one UK in the text (each would be counted individually then)?

MrExcel MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rothstein View Post
    What if there is more than one US or more than one UK in the text (each would be counted individually then)?
    Doesn't CountIf(A1,"*UK*") return just 0 (if "UK" is not found in A1) or 1 (if "UK" is found in A1, no matter how many times)?
    Kind regards
    PGC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast