Locked for editing by user who isn't using the file

This is a discussion on Locked for editing by user who isn't using the file within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hi all We have a shared workbook here that several people have access to. Sometimes the sharing is switched off ...

Board Regular

Default Locked for editing by user who isn't using the file

Hi all

We have a shared workbook here that several people have access to. Sometimes the sharing is switched off temporarily due to restrictions in functionality that occur when you share a workbook. At the moment, unfortunately, sharing is switched off.

I say unfortunately because at the moment, when any of the users try opening the file, it says that it's locked by one particular user however that user doesn't have it open and when she tries to open it, it says it's locked by her. I've jumped on her machine and checked task manager but couldn't find either the file or EXCEL.EXE running. I tried one other solution that I found on this forum that involved right clicking on My Computer > Manage > right click on Computer Management then, with another couple of steps, finding the open file and closing it but that didn't work as the file isn't open there.

I tried the simple solution of saving as a copy then trying to save it using the original name but that's not working because it says the file is in use. I tried deleting and renaming the original file but it won't let me because I get a message saying that it's in use. To describe this situation as frustrating is a gross understatement

If anyone can help me, I would be eternally grateful!

Cheers

Default Re: Locked for editing by user who isn't using the file

Ensure that none of the user is getting connected with the workbook while doing this, Just unshare the workbook and press Ctrl+S and share it again.

I've seen this when Windows and Excel get ... "confused." The only solution I've seen is for the user to sign out of Windows. The file should then be unlocked.
    Gary Whiteford
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/garywhiteford

Fructus diem! (Have a great day!)

@GaryWMn,

I disagree

Board Regular

Thanks for your input, guys.

Unfortunately, I can't change unshare the workbook because it's locked for editing and I can only view a read-only version of it.

I tried logging out the user then opening it but it still said it was locked for editing. I tried restarting my machine while she was logged out but I'm still getting the same message.

I've never encountered this problem and it wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't an important workbook but it is and I really need to either open it or save a copy then delete the original.

Luckily, one of our IT wizzes was able to fix it but he had to log in as an administrator and boot everyone out of that folder.

Thanks for your input though, it's much appreciated!