A couple of questions for a new project.

GlassCurtain

Hello all!

I'm new to programming in Excel. I do program in C, C++ and Java. I'm currently working on a project for a friend who wants to record humidity and temperature and store the data long term.

I have a humidity and temp sensor running into a micro-controller. From there, I'm dumping the data into excel using a data acquisition macro from Parallax.

My question is, what is the best to go about sorting this data once it's in Excel? We need to take the max and the min for the high's and low's each day. Can I program a workbook to make a new worksheet for each new day? Or would it just be easier dumping all the data into one worksheet with a time stamp and sort out high's and low's for the individual day that way?

Keep in mind we want to store years of this data as a sort of farmers almanac.

I'm not sure what all info you need about the project. I figured doing this in Excel would be easier since I can use the time stamp function to determine a new day. If I did this on the micro-controller I'd have to wire in a real time clock and manage it that way.

Sorry, one more thing. I'm currently polling temp and humidity every 10 mins which means it will use 288 cells per day. Is 288 cells a lot for a worksheet? If it is I can always poll the sensor slower...like every hour.

Sorry...lots of questions. Any info would be helpful!

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I think you are probably best to have a single worksheet that contains all the dumped data, along with the timestamp.

Then have a second sheet that has a table for the different dates.

Have a look at this ("Beyond the basics with min if") to show you how to use conditional formulas to extract only data that is relevant to that date.

Finding MIN IF or MAX IF in Excel | Contextures Blog

Upvote 0
Thank you guys for the advice! I figured out today that the data acquisition macro I'm using has a feature where I can add the strings "date" and "time" to the head of my data and it will add a time stamp in the excel row before the temp and humidity.

Also, if I'm showing a graph of temperature while data is still dumping into the temperature column, will it show the new data on the graph in real time or will I have to re-graph the data every time?

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll have more questions the further I get into this project. Eventually I'm going to be adding other weather instruments such as wind speed/direction and a rain gauge.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back