Using 'If Then' Statements, Excel 2010

This is a discussion on Using 'If Then' Statements, Excel 2010 within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hello! I'm trying to populate a column with data from two separate columns. To clarify, please see the table below. ...

Default Using 'If Then' Statements, Excel 2010

Hello!

I'm trying to populate a column with data from two separate columns. To clarify, please see the table below.

The information I'm getting is placed into columns A, just a code. I have the key in a separate column, like C, with the state that code represents in column D. What I would like to do is connect the State Code I get in A with the State it represents in column D so that when I enter the next State Code in column A, B automatically fills with the correct state, ie. Nebraska in B2 and B3, and Texas in B4.

A B C D
    State Code Home State Code Key
    116 115 Texas
    116 116 Nebraska
    115 117 New York

Is this possible? I was trying to use 'If-Then' statements to do this, for example. =if(A2=C2;B2;B3)

As background, the information I'm getting is just the 'state code' and for readability I'd like to be able to show the corresponding state that code refers to without having to match it all up and enter it manually. The actual information comes out to a lot more than fifty states worth.

I'd appreciate any help, as I'm not sure I'm even going in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Using 'If Then' Statements, Excel 2010

you can try

=VLOOKUP(A2,$C$2:$D$4,2,0)

in B2

Default Re: Using 'If Then' Statements, Excel 2010

Thank you! That worked perfectly.