Simple formula to sort text?

stuckagain22

Board Regular
A few months back I found a simple formula for sorting a column of text data into another column which would display it alphabetically. The formula was the most simplest text sorting formula I have ever seen. If I recall it just used the SMALL function and also had "<=" in it. (It was not an array, and I don't think it even used the ROW function (but I might be wrong on that?) I have it in a spreadsheet at work using it, but I will not be back at the office for over 1 week.

I have spent 20 minutes scouring the internet trying to find the formula, but I am not able to find it. If someone knows what this formula might be, could you please let me know. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Hi,

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't have thought this was possible without using an array formula, unless you are using a "Helper" column of course!!
These are array formulas...

Sort a range from A to Z using array formula in excel | Get Digital Help - Microsoft Excel resource

Unique distinct list from a column sorted A to Z using array formula in excel | Get Digital Help - Microsoft Excel resource

Excel Magic Trick 759: Array Formula To Sort List & Remove Duplicates - Dynamic Named Range - YouTube

Or, using a "Helper" column...

Excel Magic Trick 763: Formula to Sort Words (including Duplicates) and extract data - YouTube

Now this has been bumped up, perhaps one of the formula geniuses may come across the post and advise if this is possible without using a "Helper" column and array formulas, and provide an amazing solution!

Ak

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will get someone from work to e-mail me the spreadsheet tomorrow. Its just uses an amazing small formula and it is not an array (which is why I prefer using it).

Upvote 0
Assuming the range is A1:A7 (Non-sorted list)

The first option is used with Small function.

Option 1:
Copy paste this function with Ctrl + Shift + Enter (Drag the formula till B7)

=INDEX($A$1:$A$7,MATCH(SMALL(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,"<="&$A$1:$A$7),ROWS($B$1:B1)),COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,"<="&$A$1:$A$7),0))

Option 2:
Copy paste this function with Ctrl + Shift + Enter (Drag the formula till B7)

=INDEX($A$1:$A$7,MATCH(ROWS($B$1:B1),COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,"<="&$A$1:$A$7),0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back