Function/Formula in Excel to count Unique values matching criteria

mando415

Hi - I have a worksheet. I would like to count unique number of "Trans" in column A only if value of cells in column B "Type" equals "Return". In example below, I would want to see the value "3" as total.

I am banging my head over this and would appreciate any advise. :confused:

Trans Type
1 Return
2 Return
2 Return
3 Exch
4 Exch
5 Return
5 Return

Thank you

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Domenic - Thank you! Works perfectly. Will you please tell when/why I need to use CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER? This will be part of a template that will be updated with new data weekly. Do I need to perform this each time?

Upvote 0
When a formula is confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, it tells Excel that we're dealing with an array formula. The formula only needs to be confirmed this way when either entering or editing the formula.

Upvote 0
Try...

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(B2:B8="Return",A2:A8),IF(B2:B8="Return",A2:A8))>0,1))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

If I wanted to add another condition that looked at Column C for a specific criteria "OK", how could i add this to this formula?

Upvote 0
Try...

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(B2:B8="Return",IF(C2:C8="OK",A2:A8)),IF(B2:B8="Return",IF(C2:C8="OK",A2:A8)))>0,1))

Upvote 0
Try...

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(B2:B8="Return",IF(C2:C8="OK",A2:A8)),IF(B2:B8="Return",IF(C2:C8="OK",A2:A8)))>0,1))

This is almost the exact formula I need as well, although what I am counting is text and not numbers so giving me a result of zero. Any thoughts on how to tweak this so that it will count my text?

Upvote 0
This is almost the exact formula I need as well, although what I am counting is text and not numbers so giving me a result of zero. Any thoughts on how to tweak this so that it will count my text?

Solution to that is:
= SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(B2:B8="Return",MATCH(A2:A8,A2:A8,0)),IF(B2:B8="Return",MATCH(A2:A8,A2:A8,0)))>0,1))

And as pointed before: ctrl+shift+enter

Upvote 0
Try...

I'm trying something like this too. Mine doesn't work though. I'm trying to count, on sheet1, the number of cells marked "Funded" on sheet2!C:C that are associated with cells marked "Ford" in Sheet2!A:A as well as those that are not duplicates in sheet2!B:B

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Sheet2!A:A="Ford",IF(Sheet2!C:C="Funded",Sheet2!B:B)),IF(Sheet2!A:A="Ford",IF(Sheet2!C:C="Funded",Sheet2!B:B ))>0,1))

It says I have too many arguments.

I've tried =COUNTIFS(Sheet2!A:A,"Ford", Sheet2!C:C,"Funded") , but I can't figure out how to count only those that are not duplicates in sheet2!B:B I want to say it'd be something like ..."Funded")/countif(sheet2!B:B""), but I don't know.

Here's the table:

Sheet 1

Dealer | Num. People | Num. Apps. | Funded?
Ford |3|2||
Chevy |3|3||
Buick |3|2||

Sheet 2

Dealer | App. Num. | Funded?
Ford |1 |Funded
Ford |1 |Funded
Ford |2 |Pending
Chevy |3 |Pending
Chevy |4 |Pending
Chevy |5 |Funded
Buick |6 |Funded
Buick |6 |Funded
Buick |7 |Pending

Upvote 0

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

Rich (BB code):
=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(A2:A8<>"",IF(B2:B8="Return",IF(C2:C8="OK",
  MATCH("~"&A2:A8,A2:A8&"",0)))),ROW(A2:A8)-ROW(A2)+1),1))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back