Does point fall within polygon? VBA Function

sijpie

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
This is not a question, just a post of some code to help find if a point falls within a (complex) polygon.

I found the original code written in C here:
Determining Whether A Point Is Inside A Complex Polygon

The page also explains the issues with complex polygons. But the code of course also works for simple polygons.

I have modified the code to run as a function in Excel, and so it can be called as any other function.

The function takes as arguments the point to be checked as a range with X & Y, and a range with all the points of the polygon, X & Y.

In my example I am checking if wells drilled in the past are within a certain area.

Excel 2010
ABCDEFGHI
1Stage 1 Polygon
2Well DatabaseSurfaceCoordinates
3Stereo70In Stage1 Area
4xy
5549926313550Well NameEastingY[m]NorthingX[m]Yes/No
65493573133161 A Est559,008.51309,204.47FALSE
75499233121761 Ar Est550,000.30313,130.16TRUE
85506503125731 Ar Vest543,011.50313,106.58FALSE
95511643132051 I Est556,226.56312,713.64TRUE
105499263135501 K Vest-Blejesti539,357.63313,165.48FALSE
112 A Est559,388.41309,234.32FALSE
122 Ar Est549,925.25313,140.10TRUE
132 Ar Vest543,080.28312,970.75FALSE
142 I Est554,430.45313,551.15FALSE
152 P Vest545,170.00310,055.00FALSE
163 A Est559,722.95309,279.51FALSE
Wells inSt1 (2)
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
I6=PointInPolygon(G6:H6,Stage1Poly)
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
'Wells inSt1 (2)'!Stage1Poly='Wells inSt1 (2)'!$B$5:$C$9

A2tz4zbUgeWf8OjuIbeJf4e9ZC8KGbFyXYcWSLhi4cE=w267-h201-p-no

To use the function, copy the code below. In Excel press Alt-F11 to open the VBA editor. Rightclick on the workbook name in the top left panel, and select Insert/Module. In the right hand pane, paste the code. Now in the workbook you can use the function as shown above. The range holding the polygone nodes is range Stage1Poly, which is B5:C9

The function code is as follows:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN> PointInPolygon(rXY <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range, rpolyXY <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Function checks if X,Y given in rXY falls within complex _<br>      polygon as defined by node list rpolyXY. _<br>      rXY to be 2 cell range with one X and one Y value _<br>      rpolyXY to be 2 column range with for each node on the polygon _<br>      the X and the Y point</SPAN><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN>, j <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN>, polySides <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Integer</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> oddNodes <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Boolean</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> x <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Double</SPAN>, y <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Double</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> aXY <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN><br>    <br>    oddNodes = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    x = rXY.Cells.Value2(1, 1)<br>    y = rXY.Cells.Value2(1, 2)<br>    aXY = rpolyXY.Value<br>    <br>    polySides = rpolyXY.Rows.Count<br>    j = polySides - 1<br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> polySides<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> (((aXY(i, 2) < y And aXY(j, 2) >= y) _<br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Or</SPAN> (aXY(j, 2) < y And aXY(i, 2) >= y)) _<br>            And (aXY(i, 1) <= x <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Or</SPAN> aXY(j, 1) <= x)) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>            oddNodes = oddNodes Xor (aXY(i, 1) + (y - aXY(i, 2)) / (aXY(j, 2) - aXY(i, 2)) * (aXY(j, 1) - aXY(i, 1)) < x)<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br>        j = i<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br>    PointInPolygon = oddNodes<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Function</SPAN><br></FONT>

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Hi sijpie,

Thank you for this example. I was looking for precisely an algorithm like this.

Just a small correction. When I used it in my project I got some false positives and after reviewing the original code where you took the algorithm I figured out why.

In their code the variable "j" is assigned the value "polyLines-1" because their arrays start at 0, in your case the arrays start at 1 so the correct assignment is "j=polyLines". After this fix it worked beautifully.

I'm attaching the amended code in case it's of use to anyone.

Cheers,

Code:
Function fPointInPolygon(rXY As Range, rpolyXY As Range) As Boolean

' --------------------------------------------------------------
' Comments:
'   Function checks if X,Y given in rXY falls within complex
'   polygon as defined by node list rpolyXY.
'   rXY to be 2 cell range with one X and one Y value
'   rpolyXY to be 2 column range with for each node on the polygon _
'   the X and the Y point
'
' Arguments:
'   rXY (Range) = Coordinates of point to be checked
'   rpolyXY (Range) = Coordinates of points defining the polygon
'
' Date          Developer           Comment
' 10/07/13      sijpie              Initial version. Taken from mrexcel.com forums
' http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/713005-does-point-fall-within-polygon-visual-basic-applications-function.html
' Refrerenced from: http://alienryderflex.com/polygon/ which is the implementation in C++
' 08/11/13      AussieChuck        Changed "j" variable from "=polySides-1" to "=polySides"

Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, polySides As Integer
    Dim oddNodes As Boolean
    Dim x As Double, y As Double
    Dim aXY As Variant

oddNodes = False
    x = rXY.Cells.Value2(1, 1)
    y = rXY.Cells.Value2(1, 2)
    aXY = rpolyXY.Value

polySides = rpolyXY.Rows.Count
    j = polySides

For i = 1 To polySides
        If (((aXY(i, 2) < y And aXY(j, 2) >= y) _
            Or (aXY(j, 2) < y And aXY(i, 2) >= y)) _
            And (aXY(i, 1) <= x Or aXY(j, 1) <= x)) Then
            oddNodes = oddNodes Xor (aXY(i, 1) + (y - aXY(i, 2)) / (aXY(j, 2) - aXY(i, 2)) * (aXY(j, 1) - aXY(i, 1)) < x)
        End If
        j = i
    Next i

fPointInPolygon = oddNodes

End Function

Upvote 0
Hi sijpie,

Thank you for this example. I was looking for precisely an algorithm like this.

Just a small correction. When I used it in my project I got some false positives and after reviewing the original code where you took the algorithm I figured out why.

In their code the variable "j" is assigned the value "polyLines-1" because their arrays start at 0, in your case the arrays start at 1 so the correct assignment is "j=polyLines". After this fix it worked beautifully.

I'm attaching the amended code in case it's of use to anyone.

Cheers,

Code:
Function fPointInPolygon(rXY As Range, rpolyXY As Range) As Boolean

' Comments:
'   Function checks if X,Y given in rXY falls within complex
'   polygon as defined by node list rpolyXY.
'   rXY to be 2 cell range with one X and one Y value
'   rpolyXY to be 2 column range with for each node on the polygon _
'   the X and the Y point
'
' Arguments:
'   rXY (Range) = Coordinates of point to be checked
'   rpolyXY (Range) = Coordinates of points defining the polygon
'
' Date          Developer           Comment
' 10/07/13      sijpie              Initial version. Taken from mrexcel.com forums
' http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/713005-does-point-fall-within-polygon-visual-basic-applications-function.html
' Refrerenced from: http://alienryderflex.com/polygon/ which is the implementation in C++
' 08/11/13      AussieChuck        Changed "j" variable from "=polySides-1" to "=polySides"

Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, polySides As Integer
    Dim oddNodes As Boolean
    Dim x As Double, y As Double
    Dim aXY As Variant

oddNodes = False
    x = rXY.Cells.Value2(1, 1)
    y = rXY.Cells.Value2(1, 2)
    aXY = rpolyXY.Value

polySides = rpolyXY.Rows.Count
    j = polySides

For i = 1 To polySides
        If (((aXY(i, 2) < y And aXY(j, 2) >= y) _
            Or (aXY(j, 2) < y And aXY(i, 2) >= y)) _
            And (aXY(i, 1) <= x Or aXY(j, 1) <= x)) Then
            oddNodes = oddNodes Xor (aXY(i, 1) + (y - aXY(i, 2)) / (aXY(j, 2) - aXY(i, 2)) * (aXY(j, 1) - aXY(i, 1)) < x)
        End If
        j = i
    Next i

fPointInPolygon = oddNodes

End Function
Your function reports the wrong value for the point specified by G12:H12... it returns FALSE, but the point is actually inside the polygon. I would also point out that the original table shows the wrong value for the point specified by G9:H9... it shows the macro the OP used as returning TRUE, but that point is actually outside of the polygon. Here is my code (note the arguments are slightly different... instead of a range for the points being tested, I input the coordinates for the point separately)... while it is slightly shorter than the original function as well as your modification to it, I believe my UDF (user defined function) will always return the correct value.

Code:
Public Function PtInPoly(Polygon As Range, Xcoord As Double, Ycoord As Double) As Boolean
  Dim x As Long, m As Double, b As Double, Poly As Variant, NumSidesCrossed As Long
  Poly = Polygon
  For x = 1 To UBound(Poly) - 1
    If Poly(x, 1) > Xcoord Xor Poly(x + 1, 1) > Xcoord Then
      m = (Poly(x + 1, 2) - Poly(x, 2)) / (Poly(x + 1, 1) - Poly(x, 1))
      b = (Poly(x, 2) * Poly(x + 1, 1) - Poly(x, 1) * Poly(x + 1, 2)) / (Poly(x + 1, 1) - Poly(x, 1))
      If m * Xcoord + b > Ycoord Then NumSidesCrossed = NumSidesCrossed + 1
    End If
  Next
  PtInPoly = NumSidesCrossed Mod 2
End Function

HOW TO INSTALL UDFs
------------------------------------
If you are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. You can now use NameOfTheUDF just like it was a built-in Excel function. For example, in the originally posted table of values, put this formula in I6 and copy it down...

=PtInPoly(B$5:C$10,G6,H6)

Note the polygon range must close (meaning the first point's coordinates must also appear at the bottom of the range as well) and also note the arguments, in order, are the polygon range (containing the x and y coordinates), the X-coordinate of the point being tested and the Y-coordinate of the point being tested.

Upvote 0
I believe my UDF (user defined function) will always return the correct value.
I think I may need to add to the above slightly. Points extremely close to, or theoretically lying on, the polygon borders may or may not report back correctly... the vagrancies of floating point math, coupled with the limitations that the "significant digits limit" in VBA imposes, can rear its ugly head in those circumstances producing values that can calculate to either side of the polygon border being tested (remember, a mathematical line has no thickness, so it does not take too much of a difference in the significant digits to "move" a calculated point's position to one side or the other of such a line).

Upvote 0
Interesting. I never tested the function I had for complicated polygons. The one I needed it for was a 'normal' five sided polygon. Anyway good to know there is something really correct, I'll compare the results of the two if I get some time. I have to confess that the values in the table are incorrect, I modified them but not the results, as the original coordinates could be sensitive info....

And talking about points really close to the border reminds me of the Mandelbrot figures....

Upvote 0
For those who might be interested, I posted a mini-blog article here...

Test Whether A Point Is In A Polygon Or Not

which includes an expanded PtInPoly function that includes some error checking. The article also includes an attachment where you can see the function perform its action visually.

Upvote 0
Your function reports the wrong value for the point specified by G12:H12... it returns FALSE, but the point is actually inside the polygon. I would also point out that the original table shows the wrong value for the point specified by G9:H9... it shows the macro the OP used as returning TRUE, but that point is actually outside of the polygon. Here is my code (note the arguments are slightly different... instead of a range for the points being tested, I input the coordinates for the point separately)... while it is slightly shorter than the original function as well as your modification to it, I believe my UDF (user defined function) will always return the correct value.

Code:
Public Function PtInPoly(Polygon As Range, Xcoord As Double, Ycoord As Double) As Boolean
  Dim x As Long, m As Double, b As Double, Poly As Variant, NumSidesCrossed As Long
  Poly = Polygon
  For x = 1 To UBound(Poly) - 1
    If Poly(x, 1) > Xcoord Xor Poly(x + 1, 1) > Xcoord Then
      m = (Poly(x + 1, 2) - Poly(x, 2)) / (Poly(x + 1, 1) - Poly(x, 1))
      b = (Poly(x, 2) * Poly(x + 1, 1) - Poly(x, 1) * Poly(x + 1, 2)) / (Poly(x + 1, 1) - Poly(x, 1))
      If m * Xcoord + b > Ycoord Then NumSidesCrossed = NumSidesCrossed + 1
    End If
  Next
  PtInPoly = NumSidesCrossed Mod 2
End Function

HOW TO INSTALL UDFs
------------------------------------
If you are new to UDFs, they are easy to install and use. To install it, simply press ALT+F11 to go into the VB editor and, once there, click Insert/Module on its menu bar, then copy/paste the above code into the code window that just opened up. That's it.... you are done. You can now use NameOfTheUDF just like it was a built-in Excel function. For example, in the originally posted table of values, put this formula in I6 and copy it down...

=PtInPoly(B$5:C$10,G6,H6)

Note the polygon range must close (meaning the first point's coordinates must also appear at the bottom of the range as well) and also note the arguments, in order, are the polygon range (containing the x and y coordinates), the X-coordinate of the point being tested and the Y-coordinate of the point being tested.

Hi Rick,

Just for the sake of clarity, I'm not sure why you say the reported value for G12:H12 (2 Ar Est) is incorrect, please see attached image of the function run over the sample data. The function correctly reports the only two points inside the polygon.

NorthingX[m]Yes/No
1 A Est559,008.51309,204.47FALSE
1 Ar Est550,000.30313,130.16TRUE
1 Ar Vest543,011.50313,106.58FALSE
1 I Est556,226.56312,713.64FALSE
1 K Vest-Blejesti539,357.63313,165.48FALSE
2 A Est559,388.41309,234.32FALSE
2 Ar Est549,925.25313,140.10TRUE
2 Ar Vest543,080.28312,970.75FALSE
2 I Est554,430.45313,551.15FALSE
2 P Vest545,170.00310,055.00FALSE
3 A Est559,722.95309,279.51FALSE

<colgroup><col><col span="2"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

-- removed inline image ---

Upvote 0
Hi Rick,

Just for the sake of clarity, I'm not sure why you say the reported value for G12:H12 (2 Ar Est) is incorrect, please see attached image of the function run over the sample data. The function correctly reports the only two points inside the polygon.

Hi Rick,
You are right and I was wrong... you formula does report the correct values. I saw what I did wrong that led me to post what I did (because I just did it again when I retested your code). I wrote this formula in J6 (the column I tested your function in)...

=fPointInPolygon(G6:H6,C5:D10)

and copied I down, but I had forgotten to "lock" the polygon range using $ signs like this...

=fPointInPolygon(G6:H6,C$5:D$10)

so the polygon coordinates changed as I copied the formula down. I apologize for my mistake and the fact that it caused me to conclude your function did not work when, in fact, it appears to work quite correctly.

Upvote 0
Wow

This is GOLD

i work with KMZ layers all the time, this will be EXTREMELY useful!!!

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Wow

This is GOLD

i work with KMZ layers all the time, this will be EXTREMELY useful!!!
I have no idea what KMZ layers are, nor am I sure whose function you found useful (mine or AussieChuck's) in dealing with them, but I am glad you found something in this thread helpful.

Thank you!
I am sure AussieChuck would join me in saying, "You are quite welcome!"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back