Banded backgrounds on a scatter chart

Leeps

Hello everyone, thanks for reading my thread and welcome to my nightmare :D

So, if you fancy saving my life, here's the issue:

I want to apply a banded background to a scatter chart. It already has some conditional formatting, so I want to apply it to the existing chart, as it is quite complex already.

I have looked at the tutorial by Jon Peltier, and it looks to be exactly what I'm after, the problem is getting it to work! I have got the bands behind the scatter plots, but I cannot ever get them to orient properly, and I really need to use the "switch row/column" toggle due to the way the data falls in, but it will never let me use it (greyed out). this is the tutorial I was trying to use:
Excel Charts With Horizontal Bands - Peltier Tech Blog

I have provided a minimum working example for you to look at if it helps, showing what I am trying to do. The data is audiometric data from hearing tests that I conducted, and I want the banding to show thresholds for categories of hearing loss level. In the MWE I use autoshapes to show the areas, and this has worked up until now, but I've come across two issues with it: 1. The bands move when I change the shape of anything on the template, then need resizing, which is a huge pain. 2. The biggest issue is that I need to export images of the graphs as .pdf, and when these are printed, the transaprancy doesn't render, and the data points are invisible.

MWE:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5366344/AudiometryExample.xlsx

I'm using Excel 2010.

Thanks so much for any help. Please just ask if I can provide any more detail.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Is you Y-axis always the same (I could think this is the case for audiometric results)?

What I have done in the past is create a simple banded image with the bands at the right height, and then set the image as background of the graph area. All you measure points will be properly visible.

I may have time one of these days to download your file( can'tr do it at work), but let me know if the above solution would work

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply sijpie,

The method you suggest is similar to the one I have implemented already, though I didn't knw there was an actual background image function, that would have made my life much simpler. The issue I was having before was that the bands were moving around, and transparency wasn't workign on objects outside of excel but if they were tied in as a background it might be ok. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go and report back

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Here is an example. I created three coloured bars in a drawing program and made them semi transparent, so I could overlay them onto a photograph to make it more specific to the topic. Then I set the combined image as background for the graph area. Because my graph always shows 0-7% this works fine.

QwAr5h9WHLn_YRTH6VcGy-lQF_PqGQT4bw4ErgSMeBA=w383-h214-p-no

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back