Averaging binary values over a continuous, non-uniform domain.

quackerzdb

I have a very large dataset (~5000 points in a 2D array) which I need to plot and fit a linear trendline to. There are 90 subjects each of which has a daily binary event checked over its lifespan. eg:

Day: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
subj 1 0 1 0 0 0 (dead)
subj 2 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0(dead)
subj 3 0 0 1 0(dead)

I simply averaged the number of events per day per subject and plotted them but near the long-lived end of the data the variability gets really high. I have normalized the lifespan for each subject such that instead of the event occurring on day 10, it occurred at 0.2 of its total lifespan (dying on day 50). Now that my data is in this format, I want to create an average for all subjects over the domain 0-1 representing birth-death. The trouble is that now each subject's domain has different intervals between points (eg. 0.1 for subjects living 10 days and 0.006993 for those living 143 days). Any ideas on how to now space out the cells (somewhat) automatically so I can average the columns? My array is 90 x 150 so doing it manually is not really possible. Or, alternatively, is there a way to create a continuous average rather than a discrete one? Some sort of function that goes through each infinitely small (or even a discrete really tiny interval) point of the domain (0-1) and averages the binary y-value?

I hope I described this reasonably well; it's tough even for me to keep it straight in my head. I can provide more detail if necessary or even provide a snippet of data to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
There are lies, ****ed lies and statistics...

I don't think the average you are trying to take makes any sense.

If the data are not normalised then you can take the average (vertically) of how many are alive on day x, using
=Countif(B2:B91,">0")

But once you start spreading the short lived ones over the days (as I understand you are doing), then all this doesn't make sense

Upvote 0
Can you put a workbook on box.net and post a link?

What do the events represent?

What question are you trying to answer?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back