Code for listing all possible combinations of a 6 digit number from numbers 0-9, #, and *

ryanc580

I am trying to find a code for excel that I can use to list all possible combinations of the numbers/symbols 0-9, #, and * or just numbers 0-12 in 6 digit combinations. A friend has lost the combination to their safe and I wanted to make them a spreadsheet with all possible combinations. I know this would take them a long time to do! The numbers 0-9 and the symbols # and * are on the electronic lock. And the combination is 6 digits long. If anyone can help please let me know

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Well, it's doubtful, not impossible on a safe the * and # keys are used for the combination as they tend to be used for a clear or programming functions, but just 6 digits using the numbers 0-9 you are looking at a million possible combinations if you include 000000 as being a possible password. If you really want the possibilities listed in excel then select column A the entire column and right click it and go to format cells then custom formatting then enter 000000 and press ok. now type 000000 in cell a1 and press enter, now in cell a2 type "=sum(a1+1)" without the "", and press enter. now select cell a2 and then hold control shift and press down arrow. This selects ever cell below a2 inlcuding a2 which you already started with in your selection, now press control D. this will fill every cell all the way to the end with possible combinations starting with 0000 in cell a1. Yes it will go past the last possible combination of 999999, but will you really care by the time you try that many?

Upvote 0
No I dont really care and I am not the one that would sit there an put all of those codes in. I just told my friend I would find a way to get all of the possible combinations. So thank you for your help. It was way easier than I expected.

Upvote 0
No I dont really care and I am not the one that would sit there an put all of those codes in. I just told my friend I would find a way to get all of the possible combinations. So thank you for your help. It was way easier than I expected.
Before your friend gets started, you might want to let him know what he is in for. The maximum number of possible combinations is 1,000,000 (10*10*10*10*10*10)... assuming your friend can look at your list and then dial a combination in to the safe in 10 seconds, it could take up to...

1000000 combos (times)
10 seconds per try (divided by)
60 seconds per minute (divided by)
60 minutes per hour (divided by)
24 hours per day

115.74 days to punch in all those combinations! That is almost 1/3 of a year! And remember, there was no time factored in for eating, sleeping and hygiene needs. Your friend may want to now this before he gets started. I'm thinking may be worth it to simply drill the safe in order to open it, then buy a new safe.

Upvote 0
That is exactly what I said but they wanted the numbers anyway. And when I gave them the numbers they decided they will call a locksmith, or the manufacturers to see if they have a master override code. Thanks for all of your input!!

Upvote 0
If the safe worked like some electronic locks, then if the last 6 symbols entered were correct, it would open. With the right pattern, each new symbol would create a new six-symbol pattern. The length of the entire pattern containing all such combinations would be about 3M symbols, which, at one per second, would require a mere month or so.

Upvote 0
A lot of safe's will let you register with the manufacturer. If so, contacting them is the best bet, and if not I'd take Rick's advice and just crack the thing and buy a new one.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back