IF THEN HIGHLIGHT

This is a discussion on IF THEN HIGHLIGHT within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I would like to perform a if then function that if a letter say d is entered in a cell ...

Default IF THEN HIGHLIGHT

I would like to perform a if then function that if a letter say d is entered in a cell then the row is highlighted in transparent red. Could anyone help me with this matter I would greatly appreciate it .
    Thanks Pistol1

Default Re: IF THEN HIGHLIGHT

And methinks you're after conditional formatting - check the xl help files...
    Iridium

I looked at the conditional format help. I can't seem to reference a single cell to highlight a whole line. I will keep trying any suggestions would be apprecialted thanks Pistol1 does anyone recomend a good learning resource for me to master excel. I would like some suggestions.

Enter the conditional format for cell A1:

'Formula is' =$A$1=1

Copy it and select row A and pastespecial formats....

Edit: enter 1 in A1 and the row should hghlight - try something else and it should'nt
    Iridium

Board Regular

you can use the conditional formating from the format menu as suggested. Make sure that the cell you are referring to for the condition is locked i.e $a$1 . You can then use the format painter (double click the paint brush) to copy the format out as many columns as you need (does quite do the whole row, but may be good enough).

Hope this helps

I appreciate the help I was only able to get the cell to highlight. now I should be able to get the whole row. My value is in collumn c do I just sub c for a thanks for the help and advice Pistol

Board Regular

yes, hopefully that should do it.

Board Regular

Hello Pistol1,

Here is another Conditional Formatting option for you.

1) In a cell, say F1, type: =Countif($C$1:$C$50,"d")
    2)Select C1 with mouse, go to “Format”, Conditional Formatting, with "Condition1" as "Formula is", type: =$F$1>0. Format color as desired (Don't think you can get transparent red in Conditional Formating though. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong)
    3)Copy C1, drag down to C50, go to “Edit”, “Paste Special”, “Formats” , OK

The formula will scan C1:C50, looking for a "d". When the first "d" is entered, the formula will produce a value of "1". At this point the Conditional Formatting will have justification to highlight your specified range (C1:C50) to your specified color (Red).

HTH

Noir

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others