VBA code to insert text into a row when new data is entered + refresh a chart

mhopke

The title is HORRIBLE I'm sorry. The problem is much easier than the title sounds. (I think.)

Anyway, I have a spreadsheet I'm using for a budget. For example 11/14/13 $-16.00 Dinner. Very simple.

I also have a list of each category using =sumif statements. It basically tallies all money spent in each category.

A pie chart is pointed at these "bins" or tallied categories.

I don't mind updating the pie chart data range, or moving the autofill over when I add a new category, however I'd like to give this spreadsheet to a girlfriend. (Who doesn't know anything about excel, nor cares to learn)

What I'd like to do, is add a macro button. Something that says REFRESH. So anytime a new entry is made, and a new category is generated, it will add it to the list of "bins", and also update the pie chart to incorporate the new range of data.

Also, if I'm ignorant to an easier method please, please tell me. I'm always trying to learn new things and I have a tendency to jerry-rig my spreadsheets (as you can see by my conditional formatting if you download the xlsx). :)

I couldn't find the option to attach the spreadsheet locally to the forum, but I made a dropbox link (I think) that contains the spreadsheet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4c3ij9g2xn906v/Money.xlsx

I appreciate all the help I can get! You guys have been a great source of information for me for a long time. Now I have the chance to write it out and tell you all thanks!

Matt

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back