Problem with Excel Binary format (XLSB) in Excel 2013

exl

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Facing problem with XLSB format when working with Excel 2013 and sharing it with others. The original file was created in Excel 2007. The file works normally with Excel 2013, but when I share it with other Excel 2007 users, it gives the following errors:

Qm0BKZ.png

When the user recovers the document, the following message appears:

dnZfcR.png

The recovered document loses all formatting and alignments, but no loss of data. Also, there were no new features of Excel 2013 added to the particular document.

There is a workaround solution which I discovered, when I share the document in XLSX format (which bloats the file size and increases its size by 150%) and share it with other Excel 2007 users, it works normally with all features intact. Thereafter, if the file is saved in XLSB format from Excel 2007, it works perfectly in other machines.

Is there some inherent bug in Excel 2013 with respect to XLSB files. I don't want to lose working in XLSB files. Any help would be appreciated

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
What -exactly- do you mean by sharing?
The shared workbook feature?
Using that feature is asking for trouble, especially when mixed Office versions are at play.

Upvote 0
What -exactly- do you mean by sharing?
The shared workbook feature?
Using that feature is asking for trouble, especially when mixed Office versions are at play.

Sharing means, sending the file by email.

Upvote 0
This certainly sounds like you hit some (unkown) bug in 2013.
If you are able to share the file with us (or a sanitized version which does trigger the problem in 2013) then I can report the bug.

Upvote 0
This certainly sounds like you hit some (unkown) bug in 2013.
If you are able to share the file with us (or a sanitized version which does trigger the problem in 2013) then I can report the bug.

There is no problem when you access the file on 2013, but once you have worked on that file and send it to somebody (Excel 2007), that is when the bug hits.

Upvote 0
Looking at the screenshot, it would appear to be an issue with one (or more) of the styles in the workbook.

Upvote 0
Looking at the screenshot, it would appear to be an issue with one (or more) of the styles in the workbook.

This workbook, consists of 11 sheets, with lots of conditional formatting, combo boxes etc.

Upvote 0
Can't you share the file? YOu can probably empty all cells (control+a, hit del) for all sheets before posting.
Do this in 2007 and test whether it causes havoc in 2013. If so, please post it here.

Upvote 0
Can't you share the file? YOu can probably empty all cells (control+a, hit del) for all sheets before posting.
Do this in 2007 and test whether it causes havoc in 2013. If so, please post it here.

Jan,

As per your instructions, I have deleted all the data from my file, but the problem still exists. I have uploaded the file, so that you can have a look.

Here is the link Download BinaryWorkbook.xlsb

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back