Alternatives to VLOOKUP?

Lazarus416

Board Regular
Ok, so I have been trying to build some spreadsheets that link to other workbooks so that when I open the "Master" spreadsheet, it does automatic VLOOKUPs and updates data from the others. But it doesn't work when the other workbooks are closed if I use table names. It only only works if it uses a range (not a name, but an actual range, A1:B10 or something). However, this would require manually updating the range anytime the source ranges changed. And that could get extremely tedious. In any case, is there anyway to "lookup" something in a different worksheet/table without using vlookup? (One that works with the source book closed.)

I can't just do a straight copy/paste as the references may occur more than once in the Master document. However, the imported data is specific to the reference. So 09782660J may show up 5 times, but it always equals 6. Any suggestions?

(I ran across a something about using an INDEX/MATCH combo, but I can't seem to figure out how to make that work in place of the VLOOKUP. That combo was =INDEX(Return_value_range, MATCH(Lookup_value, Lookup_value_range, Match_type)), but it doesn't seem to work the way the author says it would. You can find it at Say Goodbye to VLOOKUP, and Hello to INDEX-MATCH | eImagine Technology Group if you are interested in seeing it.)

09782660JNeed to import some data to here from another workbook
09782670J
09782680J
09782690J
09782700J
09782710J
09782720J
09782730J

<tbody>
</tbody>

Source Book:

003492100J6
009782660J6
009782670J6
009782680J5
009782690J5
009782700J6
009782710J6
009782720J5

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Ok, so I have been trying to build some spreadsheets that link to other workbooks so that when I open the "Master" spreadsheet, it does automatic VLOOKUPs and updates data from the others. But it doesn't work when the other workbooks are closed if I use table names. It only only works if it uses a range (not a name, but an actual range, A1:B10 or something). However, this would require manually updating the range anytime the source ranges changed. And that could get extremely tedious. In any case, is there anyway to "lookup" something in a different worksheet/table without using vlookup? (One that works with the source book closed.)

I can't just do a straight copy/paste as the references may occur more than once in the Master document. However, the imported data is specific to the reference. So 09782660J may show up 5 times, but it always equals 6. Any suggestions?

(I ran across a something about using an INDEX/MATCH combo, but I can't seem to figure out how to make that work in place of the VLOOKUP. That combo was =INDEX(Return_value_range, MATCH(Lookup_value, Lookup_value_range, Match_type)), but it doesn't seem to work the way the author says it would. You can find it at Say Goodbye to VLOOKUP, and Hello to INDEX-MATCH | eImagine Technology Group if you are interested in seeing it.)

So i tested this by making a testing 1 (equal to your source book) and testing 2 (equal to what you want to import from the source) workbooks but had no issue with getting Vlook up to work when testing 1 was closed.

Few things i did notice though:
1: make sure you set your security to allow automatic updating of links.
2: The data from your source and what you are looking up is different. 009782720J in the source is not equal to 09782720J. Notice the second 0? that will fowl you up.

Index match is great because it allows you do a bit more complicated things than Vlookup. That being said i would just stay with Vlookup on something like this.

Code:
VLOOKUP(A2,'[test 1.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1:$B$8,2,)

Placed this in b2 of your import sheet and copied it down.

hope that helps..

Upvote 0
@shorn: I know this may seem like a silly question, but can you show me the Index/Match formula? When I try it using
Code:
=INDEX('[source_doc]Sheet1'!$B$2:$B$153, MATCH(A3,A2:A184,0))
instead of matching the value IN A3 and returning the corresponding data, it is using "A3" as the reference and is returning the corresponding data for that cell.

I tried using "0"& in the formula to account for the extra 0, but it did not help. I also tried manually changing the numbers to match (for testing purposes) just to see if it would work, but no change either. I can't figure out why it is using the A3 as the reference instead of using the value of A3 in the match function.

Master:
AB
2009783860DA=INDEX('[source_doc]Sheet1'!$B$2:$B$153, MATCH(A3,A2:A184,0))
302625910J
402705440J
502705450J

<tbody>
</tbody>

Source Doc:

AB
2002625910J6
3002626200J7
4002705440J6
5002705450J6
100002705480J6
009783860DA

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

If the Index/Match work correctly, I should be getting back an answer of 100, but instead I am getting an answer of 7 (the answer out of B3).

...but had no issue with getting Vlook up to work when testing 1 was closed.

Vlook works fine as long as you don't try and use a named (IE: dynamic) range in a closed workbook. If you use a named range, it won't work with the source closed. But if you use a non-named range, then you have to go in every time a row is added or removed from the source doc and update the destination formulas to reflect the change. Cumbersome if you have a lot of data...

Upvote 0
Vlook works fine as long as you don't try and use a named (IE: dynamic) range in a closed workbook. If you use a named range, it won't work with the source closed. But if you use a non-named range, then you have to go in every time a row is added or removed from the source doc and update the destination formulas to reflect the change. Cumbersome if you have a lot of data...

Index/Match and VLookup are equivalent vis-a-vis dynamic names ranges and closed books...

Upvote 0
P.S. Just for kicks, I tried using Index/Match for looking up data based on names and got such vastly different results that I don't have a clue why it is retrieving what it is...its not even as simple as "using A3" instead of "value of A3". Now the results are just...well, I don't know why it is pulling the data it is.

DE
4=INDEX('[source_doc]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$200, MATCH(E4,E3:E185,0))MORACE RAYMOND CHARLES

<tbody>
</tbody>

Source Doc:

AB
1NAMETest Data
2SMITH OSCAR T13
3MORACE RAYMOND CHARL20
4ESCORPISO JONIE LYNN20

<tbody>
</tbody>

• Match_type - Exact (0), Nearest Less Than (-1), or Nearest Greater Than (1) [optional]

If I use 0, I get back SMITH OSCAR T...if I use Nearest Less than (-1) I get SMITH OSCAR T...if I use Nearest Greater Than (1) I get GAGNON MICHELLE THI (a name from A90). I can't figure out what it is doing....(What I WANT is the corresponding data from Col B, but I am using Col A as the lookup array to make it easy to see when it does not work right.)

Ultimately, I am trying to figure out how to use a longer name to lookup inside a shorter version of it. IE: Use MORACE RAYMOND CHARLES as a reference to find the data next to MORACE RAYMOND CHARL.

Upvote 0
Meaning you can't use named ranges with Index/Match either?

I tried saying that all the time. When the external workbook has dynamic named ranges, it won't help substituting Index/Match for Vlookup. Try rather the alternatives I already listed.

Upvote 0
@shorn: I know this may seem like a silly question, but can you show me the Index/Match formula? When I try it using
Code:
=INDEX('[source_doc]Sheet1'!$B$2:$B$153, MATCH(A3,A2:A184,0))
instead of matching the value IN A3 and returning the corresponding data, it is using "A3" as the reference and is returning the corresponding data for that cell.

So here is the index match statement
Code:
=INDEX('[source test.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$1:$B$6,MATCH(A2,'[source test.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$6))

The problem you were having is that the info in the match has to be linked to the source doc and it has to have $$'s.

Second you can use named ranges without a problem. You just have to set the name ranges on the source doc.

Code:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'test.xlsx'!testrange,2,)
or
Code:
=INDEX('test.xlsx'!Indexrange,MATCH(A2,'test.xlsx'!Matchrange))

Both work fine if you define the name range on the source doc as follows..

Code:
Testrange=Sheet1!$A$1:$B$6
Indexrange=Sheet1!$B$1:$B$6
Matchrange=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$6

Upvote 0
So here is the index match statement
Code:
=INDEX('[source test.xlsx]Sheet1'!$B$1:$B$6,MATCH(A2,'[source test.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$6))

The problem you were having is that the info in the match has to be linked to the source doc and it has to have $$'s.

Second you can use named ranges without a problem. You just have to set the name ranges on the source doc.

Code:
=VLOOKUP(A2,'test.xlsx'!testrange,2,)
or
Code:
=INDEX('test.xlsx'!Indexrange,MATCH(A2,'test.xlsx'!Matchrange))

Both work fine if you define the name range on the source doc as follows..

Code:
Testrange=Sheet1!$A$1:$B$6
Indexrange=Sheet1!$B$1:$B$6
Matchrange=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$6

I don't see how this helps: Names or just the range specs. They don't update when deletions and/or additions occur.

The OP states: "However, this would require manually updating the range anytime the source ranges changed. And that could get extremely tedious."

I interpret this as desiring a "dynamic set up".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back