Trying to insert column, but getting a weird message...

Glutamine83

I have a spreadsheet approx. 50 columns wide, and 300 rows deep, which has a multitude of data in the form of text, numbers, and some simple formulas, mostly sums

however, i want to add a column and every time i highlight a column, right click, and select insert, i get the following message:

"To prevent possible loss of data, Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the worksheet.

Try to delete or clear the cells to the right and below the data. Then select cell A1 and save your workbook to reset the last cell used.

Or, you can move the data to a new location and try again."

Any thoughts??? :oops: :oops:

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
When in your spreadsheet, hit CTRL+END
This will send you to what Excel thinks the last cell is for your sheet. I suspect you'll find that your cursor ends up in Column IV.
If that's the case, the message is correct in that there is data in the final column (even if it's just spaces).
I suggest you determine which column <u>you</u> think is the last column with data in and then select all columns to the right of that, even if you think they're blank, and delete them.

Rgds
AJ

Upvote 0
Sounds like Excel thinks there's something right or down from your range. Where do you go if you hit [End][Home] ?

If you're sure you don't have anything you want to keep off to the right then highlight a bunch of columns (HA to IV for example) then Delete them (r-click | Delete). That should get you room to expand.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlphaRino

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back