Search for date and then apply mutliple search criteria in huge dataset

maxtymo

Hi,
I am trying since couple of hours to construct a formula. However, unsuccessful. Do you guys have a solution? It’s for my Master Thesis.

My Problem:
I have 1000 firms that engaged in M&A activities. For those firms I need a Benchmark-Firm selected via Size (Market Capitalization) and Book-to-Market Value (BTMV) in the respective month in which the initial company engaged in M&A. All of those 1000 active Companies were active in different months spanning from 1997 to 2012.
In other words, I have 1000 firms and I would like to find another company for each initial company, which best fulfills two criteria in a specified month.

Criterion 1: The size (market capitalization) of the benchmark-firm needs to represent 70% to 130% of the size of the active firm. This criterion leads to a pre-selection, however there are still various potential benchmark-firms left.

Criterion 2: Out of the Benchmark-firms which are 70% to 130% of the size of the active firm, the final single benchmark-firm is found. This final selection is performed by choosing the benchmark-firm with the closest BTMV-ratio to the active firm.

From a datasets a pre-selection regarding Size is performed and in the next step the final selection is performed according to the BTMV ratio from another dataset. Both criterions need to be representing the month of the respective M&A activity. The matching between those two datasets (worksheets) can be performed by company name or a identifying code.

Short example:
Firm A is active in March 2001 and has a size of 100 and a BTMV ratio of 2 in March 2001. The size of the firms B,C,D is in the range of 70% to 130% in March 2001. Of these firms, firm D has the closest BTMV with 2,2 in March 2001.
The sample consists of 1000 active M&A companies and there are 2000 potential benchmark-firms, with values for each month from 1997 to 2012.

The size and the BTMV are given in two different worksheets with two common fields (firm name and firm code). In the end I require for further analysis just the name of the benchmark firm for each of the active firms.
It might be helpful to actually see the data, hence:
dropbox.com/s/h7bwcjrvjys5022/Forum.xlsx

To be fair, I wanted to mention that I have posted this problem in other forums as well. As I am a bit under time pressure and do not really have a lot of expereince with forums in general.

Thank you guys so much!!!!
Max

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
No the short example is not given in the data. It was completely fictional and for illustration purposes.

Upvote 0
No the short example is not given in the data. It was completely fictional and for illustration purposes.

If you could pick out the example from the upload, it would be much easier to map your description in words to the data in the file.

Upvote 0
ok sure.
In "control matching" B3 we see the company RMR PLC with the ISIN (identification code) given in column C3. This company was active on the 9th october 2001 (announced a M&A deal). In october 2001 this company had a size (MV) of 5.51 million euros and a BTMV (or MTBV ratio as in the file) of 4.74. I would like to find and show the company name and ISIN code (in column F and G, respectively) of a control firm which has a size between 70% and 130% of 5.51mil. and of the remaining potetial control firms the closest MTBV ratio to 4.74. The data for the potetntial control firms is given in the worksheets MTBV and SIZE....Hence I am looking for a control firm that is between 70% to 130% of the size of RMR PLC. And as there are various potetial control firms that fulfill this criterium, out of these remaining control firms, I would like to select the one with the closest MTBV ratio (smaller or larger does not matter). This yields only one remianing control firm, of this control firm I want the name and ISIN code shown in worksheet "control matching" in column F and G respectively.

I hope this helps

Upvote 0
Please post a link to the three forums were you cross posted - Thx

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back