Calculated Item; wrong sub and grand total with percentages

Daktari

Board Regular
Hi,
As the head line hints at, I'm having some issues with the Calculated Item function in Excels pivot.
I'm creating a report with the current and previous year, where I calculate the years sum as a percentage of yesteryears.

It works row by row, but for each total it adds all the row totals in one large percent.
IE if two items sold 3 units each last year, but sold 6 units this year, the calculated item subtotal shows 400% (not 200%).

Is there a method in getting the pivot to show current percentage totals?

The calculated field option is a no go due to how I'm getting the data (different databases, overlapping sets, huge sets, got to keep the size down etc).

I heard that this is a "known" Excel bug, but I wont take rumors for fact before checking with you.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi Daktari,

Using a Calculated Item isn't a good fit for the Year Over Year comparison you are trying to do.

A better method would be to add a second instance of the "Sum of Units Sold" field to the Values area of the report,
then use the Show Values as...> Calculation: % of > Base Field: Year > Base Item: (previous).

These two links provide similar examples with one having the timescale oriented vertically and the other horizontally.

Excel Magic Trick 612: Pivot Table Year Over Year Sales Calculation From Dates Listed As Text - YouTube

How to show monthly values & % changes in one pivot table - Excel Pivot Table Examples | Chandoo.org - Learn Microsoft Excel Online

The problem you describe with trying to do this using Calculated Items is a good reason why those aren't a good tool for your purpose but it's not a bug.
A bug would imply that subtotals and grand totals of Calculated Items do not behave as intended and designed which isn't the case.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtariBaby

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back