Complicated IF function

maidenhel

Hello All,

I am new to this site in hopes of a little help.

Here's the quick scenario:

I have 2 columns that I would like to compare. They start at F4 and G4 respectively. Here's what I am trying to achieve:

IF
F4>0, G4>0 display NO PITCH
F4=0, G4>0 display GAS
F4>0, G4=0 display ELECTRIC
F4=0, G4=0 display DUAL

I have tried tirelessly to get the result column to display correctly, to no avail.

As another challenge, I would like this result to be compared to an additional column, call it E4. There are 3 results in E4, COMBINE, E-RES, G-RES. COMBINE has no effect on the result. E-RES would negate GAS, and turn DUAL into ELECTRIC. G-RES would negate ELECTRIC, and turn DUAL into GAS.

If this second part could be integrated as well, it would so greatly appreciated, but I understand it complicates things quite a bit.

Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Try

=IF(AND(F4>0,G4>0),"NO PITCH",IF(AND(F4=0,G4>0),"GAS",IF(AND(F4>0,G4=0),"ELECTRIC",IF(AND(F4=0,G4=0),"DUAL"))))

Upvote 0
thank you, shyy! worked like a charm. do you have any ideas for the 2nd part? for the 2nd part, i shouldn't have used the word "negate". basically, if the value in E4 equals E-RES, then i want the result column from above to read "ELECTRIC" regardless of the F4 and G4 formulas. so it would override the other result. G-RES would display "GAS". most of the values in column E are 'COMBINE', which won't effect the result column.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!!

What is G-RES and E-Res name ranges?

This would all have to be entered in the same cell, unless you are doing VBA you can't change the contents of another cell from the active cell.

Post up a sample and the desired end result.

Upvote 0
what if i simplified the 2nd part to simply be:

IF
E4=E-RES,G4>0, "NO PITCH"
E4=G-RES,F4.0, "NO PITCH"

i tried adding these to what i've used so far =IF(AND(F4>0,G4>0),"NO PITCH",IF(AND(F4=0,G4>0),"GAS",IF(AND(F4>0,G4=0),"ELECTRIC",IF(AND(F4=0,G4=0),"DUAL"))))
and i keep getting errors.

this is exactly what i've input:
=IF(AND(F4>0,G4>0),"NO PITCH",IF(AND(F4=0,G4>0),"GAS",IF(AND(F4>0,G4=0),"ELECTRIC",IF(AND(F4=0,G4=0),"DUAL",IF(AND(E4=E-RES,G4>0,"NO PITCH",IF(AND(E4=G-RES,F4>0,"NO PITCH"))))))))

can you guys troubleshoot this for me? am i doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
Its confusing... post a sample of your data and how want the end result to look like.

Upvote 0
so i'm back because i don't think i have my problem resolved just yet. i am using this function: =IF(E718="E-RES","ELECTRIC",IF(E718="G-RES","GAS",IF(F718>0,IF(G718>0,"NO PITCH","ELECTRIC"),IF(G718>0,"GAS","DUAL"))))

here's the issue i am still having. hopefully this image shows up:

295778d1391796958-complicated-if-function-untitled.png

so basically, i want H718 to display "NO PITCH" because E718=E-RES **AND** G718>0. The same would apply if E718="G-RES" **AND** F718>0.

can anyone tell from my function where i am going wrong? or what i might need to add? i've been playing around with this forever and i've come up empty-handed, so any help would be amazing.

Upvote 0
here is just some syntax info:

to do an AND with a IF statement

=IF(AND(E718="E-RES",G718>0),"TRUE","FALSE")

Explain in english each criteria that you need. You can work step by step.

ex: If E718 = ERES and G718 > 0 to display something

Upvote 0
i got the answer with a little help at another Excel forum.

this worked:

=IF(E718="E-RES",_IF(G718>0,"NO PITCH","ELECTRIC")_,IF(E718="G-RES",_IF(F718>0,"NO PITCH","GAS")_,IF(F718>0,IF(G718>0,"NO PITCH","ELECTRIC"),IF(G718>0,"GAS","DUAL"))))

Upvote 0
glad you got it fixed, also you should always post the link to the other board or that could make you look bad if someone posts that link instead of you. May not be intentional but now you know...

What does the "_" do? I never seen a formula using a "_IF"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back