Trouble simplifying an IF formula

Beware Wet Paint

Hello lovely people,

I'm trying to write an IF formula which returns a certain value if a referenced cell contains any text and a different value if it is blank.

As it stands the only way I've been able to do this is to use a formula which nests each different possible text value the cells could contain- as there are numerous text values the cells could contain the resulting formula is rather long and complex.

I was wondering if there could be a different approach or an alternate function I could use to simplify this situation. Any suggestions are gratefully received, thank you.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
you could just swap the order of operations, check if its blank first and then do the other thing:

=IF(A1="",something_if_true,something_if_false)

Upvote 0
Sorry for the late reply- the text values are 'Holiday', 'Part', 'Mat leave', 'LTS' and 'SVR', if any of these values appear in the referenced cell I want the cell containing the formula to appear blank, if none of the values appear in the referenced cell I want the formula containing cell to show 'Mr Jones'.

So far the simplest formula I have managed to come up with is =IF(A1="Holiday",""),IF(A1="Part",""),IF(A1="Mat leave",""),IF(A1="LTS",""),IF(A1="SVR","","Mr Jones"))))) I was just wondering if it could be condensed down something like =IF(A1='any text',"","Mr Jones"), it's figuring out if there is an appropriate function for the 'any text' part which I'm struggling with as my knowledge of different functions is pretty limited.

Upvote 0
B1, copied down:

=IF(LIST,$A1),"","Mr Jones)

where LIST stands for a range housing the text values of interest.

Upvote 0
Just another possible option:

=IF(OR(A1={"Holiday","Part","Mat leave","LTS","SVR"}),"","Mr Jones")

Upvote 0
Do you really need to check all the conditions? It would be simpler to only check for "Mr Jones" and otherwise leave the cell blank:

=IF(A1="Mr Jones", "SVR", "")

If you truly must check for a text entry, then this would work:

=IF(A1="Mr Jones", "SVR", IF(ISTEXT(A1),""))

Note that it will return FALSE if A1 is blank, a number, or an error.

Upvote 0
Do you really need to check all the conditions? It would be simpler to only check for "Mr Jones" and otherwise leave the cell blank:

=IF(A1="Mr Jones", "SVR", "")

If you truly must check for a text entry, then this would work:

=IF(A1="Mr Jones", "SVR", IF(ISTEXT(A1),""))

Note that it will return FALSE if A1 is blank, a number, or an error.
I misread the question. Sorry for the noise.

Upvote 0
Thank you for all the replies, I've had success using =IF(ISTEXT(A1),"","Mr Jones") but I will also be trying out the list option as I think =IF(ISTEXT(A1),"","Mr Jones") will become invalid if A1 contains a formula of it's own as I think the ISTEXT function recognizes a formula as text?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back