Compare mixed text and number cells (Student levels)

atmosworld

Hello, I was wondering if any one could help me. I have been searching for hours on the web for an answer. I have a mark book with two columns, students target grade and students current grade. I work in a UK school and we level are students using 4c, 4b, 4a, 5c, 5b, 5a, 6c, 6b, 6a.etc. I am looking for a way to indicate if a student has met their target grade.
For example if a students target grade is 5c (Cell A1) and they got a 5a (Cell A2), I would like to place a 'Y' in Cell A3 as they have achieved above their target. Is there anyway of doing this. Any help would be very mush appreciated. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Not familiar with Uk grading system but how does one know for example that 5A is higher than a 5C and so on, to make it easy to put in A Y or an N?

Upvote 0
The uk grading system goes up up like this, 2c > 2b > 2a > 3c >3b >3a all the way up to 7c > 7b >7a this is used for out 11 - 14 year olds (Middle school?). It is very confusing to understand but a student will enter school, for example with a 4c they then move up to a 4b and more up to a 4a and keep on making progress as they move up through the school. Each student is predicted a grade at the end of each year, for for example Matt might be predicted to get a 6c, however he only gets a 5a (which is lower then a 6c), I want to know is there a formula that will automatically put a Y or N next to his name if he did/did not met his target?.....I really hope that makes sense (please blame the UK government if not!!!).

Upvote 0
"It's a simple lexicographic comparison. A3's formula should just be =IF(A2<=A1,"Y", "N")I tried this before and it only seems to work on some values, for example comparing 6c to 5a it worked (giving me a Y because 6c is larger than 5a) but comparing 5b to 5c it did not work (gave me a N, but should have given me a Y because 5b is larger then 5c).

Upvote 0
Make a table like I did in J1:J9 of your available grades. Then in A3:
=IF(MATCH(A2,$J$1:$J$9,0)>=MATCH(A1,$J$1:J9,0),"Y","")

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJ
15c4c
25a4b
3Y4a
45c
55b
65a
76c
86b
96a
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Hi,

Perhaps try something like this:

Excel 2013
ABCDEF
1StudentTarget gradeCurrent gradeAchieved targetGrade (sorted worst to best)
2A5c5aY2c
3B6c4bN2b
4C5b6bY2a
53c
63b
73a
84c
94b
104a
115c
125b
135a
146c
156b
166a
177c
187b
197a
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2=IF(MATCH(C2, F$2:F$16, 0) >= MATCH(B2, F$2:F$16, 0), "Y", "N")

Upvote 0
THANK YOU so much, it worked perfect. I spent hours looking on the web, 10 min on this site and I get the answer. You guys are amazing! Thank you

Upvote 0
THANK YOU so much, it worked perfect. I spent hours looking on the web, 10 min on this site and I get the answer. You guys are amazing! Thank you

Assuming the target value is in cell B2 and the current grade is in C2 (as circledchicken showed in Message #7), and that the letters are always lower case, then you can put this formula in D2 and copy it down without the need for the sorted Grade table that circledchicken showed)...

=IF(LEFT(C2)&(101-CODE(RIGHT(C2)))>=LEFT(B2)&(101-CODE(RIGHT(B2))),"Y","N")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back