Formula/macro to search cell text and assign value?

shibbyshibby

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I couldn't find the answer after hours of googling:

I am trying to get a code which searches each row for a keyword, and then assigns a value to it depending on what group of keywords it is.

For example, if the Name or Comment mentions certain fruit keywords, I want it to assign the value: "Fruit", and if it mentions certain vegetable keywords, I want to assign it "Vegetables", and if it is unrelated to either, I want to keep it blank. If the name/comment mentions both fruit and vegetables then I want it to say "Error".

Since the keywords I am using are mostly two letters, I want the search to only search for the two letters on its own, and not as part of a sentence. e.g. if the key word is ED, I don't want it to return a value for "I rested". Instead, I want it to stay blank.

i.e. I want the code to take information from column A and B, and assign a value based on the keywords in column D and E. As an example:

A
B
C

<tbody>
</tbody>
NameCommentValue
V1Eating vegetables are good for youVegetable
nulllock out of ep.Fruit
S-1It is JUST
Fruit-spError

<tbody>
</tbody>

DE
FruitVegetable
EPSW
KGSP
STCM
BVLP

<tbody>
</tbody>
The formula I used so far is this: where C3 is the first value
C3=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(100,SEARCH(Sheet1!$D$2:$D$6,A3))),ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(100,SEARCH(Sheet1!$D$2:$D$6,B3)))),"Fruit","")&IF(OR(ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(100,SEARCH(Sheet1!$E$2:$E$6,A3))),ISNUMBER(LOOKUP(100,SEARCH($E$2:$E$6,B3)))),"Vegetable","")

In columns D and E I put a leading and trailing space between each word to only search for the keywords themselves, and not as part of a word. (e.g. ST is correct instead of haSTe).

This formula seems to work only for 60% of the information, problems occur when the keyword is at the end of comment sentence: the value is blank. e.g. in row B4 of the table I made above my formula returns a blank.

I can't figure out how to fix this. Maybe a macro would be more suited to solve this problem? However I am not too savvy in VBA.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back