How to use ISFORMULA() as a criteria for SUMIF function?

Rafaa

Good day!

What I'm trying to achieve on the example below is to show on cell D8 the sum of the values on column D plus a constant factor from either column A or B, depending if the value in D is a Formula or a Number.

If the value in D is a formula, I have to add to the total the correspondent value in A and if the value is a number, I have to add the correspondent value from B instead.

For example, on cel D2 I have the formula =50+50, so I should add to the total the value in A2 (4). While in cell D3, I have a number 200, so I should add to the total the value in B3 (4).

I'm trying to obtain this total using the following formula. But it is not working. I trying to use different criteria and the logic works, but it stops working when I try to use the formulas ISFORMULA and ISNUMBER as the criteria.

=SUM(D2:D6,SUMIF(D2:D6,ISFORMULA(D2:D6),A2:A6),SUMIF(D2:D6,AND(D2:D6>0,ISNUMBER(D2:D6)),B2:B6))

If you can see what I'm doing wrong or even if you know a different way to obtain the same results, I would appreciate your assistance!

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Rafa

Excel 2012
ABCDEFGH
1factor Xfactor YTypeExpenses 1Expenses 2Expenses 3Expenses 4
242A100
384B200
4126C0
5168D0
62010E0
8Total300

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
D8=SUM(D2:D6,SUMIF(D2:D6,ISFORMULA(D2:D6),A2:A6),SUMIF(D2:D6,AND(D2:D6>0,ISNUMBER(D2:D6)),B2:B6))

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
factor Xfactor YTypeExpenses 1
42A100
84B200
126C0
168D0
2010E0
Total308=SUM(D2:D6,SUMPRODUCT(--(ISFORMULA(D2:D6)),A2:A6),SUMPRODUCT(--(ISFORMULA(D2:D6)=FALSE),--((D2:D6)>0),B2:B6))
TRY SUMPRODUCT INSTEAD…
<colgroup><col width="64" style="width: 48pt;" span="4"> <col width="941" style="width: 706pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 34413;"> <tbody> </tbody>

Upvote 0
Thank you Teeroy. I didn't know this formula wasn't available before. I will make sure it works with other people in the office before sharing the spreadsheet.

vogel997, it worked!! Thank you very much. I'm now reading this site to understand how it works. (Excel SUMPRODUCT formula - Syntax, Usage, Examples and Tutorial | Chandoo.org - Learn Microsoft Excel Online).

Have a great day, guys! Thanks for your help.

Excel Magic Trick 777: SUMPRODUCT Function -- Basics To Advanced (14 Examples) - YouTube

Upvote 0
Thank you Teeroy. I didn't know this formula wasn't available before. I will make sure it works with other people in the office before sharing the spreadsheet.

vogel997, it worked!! Thank you very much. I'm now reading this site to understand how it works. (Excel SUMPRODUCT formula - Syntax, Usage, Examples and Tutorial | Chandoo.org - Learn Microsoft Excel Online).

Have a great day, guys! Thanks for your help.

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.sumproduct.html

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back