Why use HTML tables instead of links to files?

BrianMH

Today the topic of why to use addins (such as Excel Jeanie) to post excel tables instead of linking to those files came up. I am creating this post so I can add it to my signature and also get others feedback.

1. Those who help during down time at work often do so behind corporate firewalls. Many of these firewalls block access to any file sharing sites. So if you post a link to a file many of those who could have replied otherwise are now out of the loop. In effect you reduce the number of people that can help you.

2. Links don't tend to last forever. As pgc01 said in a recent topic one of the great things about this site is that even years after helping someone that same topic can help someone else. When a link expires much of the content of the post is lost. That great benefit is then also lost. Some posters will actually avoid helping where links are created.

3. Links can be a security issue. How do we know what you are linking to isn't infected with some sort of malware? Are you really wanting to reduce the people who are willing to help because some will be worried about what you are linking to?

I'm sure there are more reasons and if you have any further reasons let us know.

Click here to find out how to post a sample of your sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good points Brian!

I will also add that in my experience, having contributed at forums where files are accepted, questions asked with workbook attachments are often too vague and asked in the attached document instead sometimes scattered across various comment objects / shapes and cells. A clearly phrased question, with a suitable exhibit (before and after exhibit usually preferred) and with a meaningful thread title is much more likely to attract attention and a good answer.

If someone isn't willing to invest the time to phrase their question properly and isn't willing to tailor an exhibit to the question then many members aren't willing to invest their time to help. Use the tools best suited to forum posting - simples!

Agreed!

I often come across posts that are far too vague. Sometimes I ask them further details but sometimes I really don't have the time, energy or patience to tease out more detail.

If you have been directed to this page by a signature or someone asking you to have a look directly then ask yourself a question. If I wasn't directly involved in this project would I understand what I'm asking for? If not then before posting, posting again or "bumping" a thread think about what you can do to make your requirements clear. Oh and on the note of bumping, many of us search posts by 0 replies. That way we know we aren't as likely to be working on something that someone else is already working on. If you bump you are actually Less likely to get a response. Remember we are volunteers, we give our time to help you and nothing is owed to you. Help us help you. Be clear, use the best tools you can access and make sure to thank someone if they helped you (or tried).

Great lead with this Brian,

You might want to check out Ken Pul's post on CrossPosting: Excelguru Help Site - A message to forum cross posters

I think it has a lot of the verbiage that you're trying to convey.

I personally try to stay away from links for many of the reasons that Jon stated. Just like I'm probably not going to do much when someone hits the MVP list asking for help and doesn't give the link to the thread url. If you can't waste your time explaining (knowing that this is not a subscription site where there are different expectations), then I probably won't spend much time trying to figure it out.

Thanks for going out of your way to do this, I'm tired of trying to explain it! :)

@Brian: I added a link to your thread referencing the topic on how to post attachments. I just thought it would be better in the first thread in case people visit your thread and don't read all of the trailing replies. Hope that's OK!

Of course! Anything to help people post in the best way possible. I know the worse offenders will probably never read these topics but at least they exist. I love this site; I've helped people, I've learned, I've killed time. If there is ever anything that I can do to help further let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back