trying to extract unique values with a formula

nmss18

Hello,
I have a very large table in Sheet 1, in the following range A10:1:3068.
Column C has the company name, and there are multiple instances of the same company name in this column. (Columns E to I are part of a pivot table and I have various formulas in A thru D).

In column A I have a value indicating whether the company has 'exposure' (an internal meaning for our sales team). If the company has exposure, then the word exposure is indicated otherwise the cell is blank.

What I need to do is in Sheet 2, create a table that extracts a unique list of company names from column C only where it has the word 'Exposure' next to it in column A.

I would like this to be dynamic so if I change a value in the pivot table in sheet 1 the values in the table in sheet 2 will update accordingly.

I am figuring this is an index and match or perhaps a countifs but my head is stuffed.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
nmss18

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi nmss18,

Name your range of company names as "Company" (or whatever you want), and then use this formula:
{=IFERROR(INDEX(Company, MATCH(0, IF(MAX(NOT(COUNTIF($B$1:B1, Company))*(COUNTIF(Company, ">"&Company)+1))=(COUNTIF(Company, ">"&Company)+1), 0, 1), 0)), "")}

Note: You will have to fix the references

I have been using this formula for a few years now. The author of this formula is Create a drop down list containing only unique distinct alphabetically sorted text values using excel array formula | Get Digital Help - Microsoft Excel resource

Kim.

Upvote 0
Kim,
Thanks for the answer and the link. I will take a look at the link later, but in the meantime, I tried to use your formula but it didnt work. I created the range for the column with the company names but I am getting one company name repetitively.
What are the references that I have to adjust? Should I reference the 'Exposure' values that I have in columnA?

Thanks much,
nmss18

Upvote 0
What is A10:1:3068 exactly? You want a unique list from column C, the elements of which correspond "exposure" in column A. Is this correct?

Upvote 0
Yes, that is what i am looking to do. ColumnA just identifies whether the company name in columnC has 'exposure'.
In column D -which is in the first column of a pivot table- I have the unique user names of this company. That is why I might see multiple instances of the company name in column C. The identification of 'exposure:' associated with the company name tells me that the user names in column D have not traded any market data with our firm hence they are at risk (or at 'exposure') for cancelation.At this stage I don't need to extract those names but perhaps later I might try.
Thanks much.
Nmss18

Upvote 0
Kim,
Thanks for the answer and the link. I will take a look at the link later, but in the meantime, I tried to use your formula but it didnt work. I created the range for the column with the company names but I am getting one company name repetitively.
What are the references that I have to adjust? Should I reference the 'Exposure' values that I have in columnA?

Thanks much,
nmss18

Hi nmss18,

I missed (or forgot) the request for only showing the companies that have "Exposure", so I have changed my steps, though it is not the most elegant:

1. In column J, add the formula
    =IF($A2="Exposure", $C2, "")
  2. On Sheet 2, create a formula in A2
    {=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$J$2:$J$3068, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($P$1:P1, Sheet1!$J$2:$J$3068), 0)), "")}

Note: Do not type in the {}, but press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    Note: You may need to change your sheet reference, that is if the sheet name is not Sheet1, then change it to the correct name
  3. Drag this formula down to row 3068

Kim.

Upvote 0
Kim,
Still didnt work. First i realised that I could use your formula you specified in step on for my 'Exposure' column in column E (I moved it from column A, because I want to create this list in the same sheet so I just moved the whole pivot table over a few coklumns). So now in my first column (column E) I have a column with a header called Exposure and I created the entire length of the column into a range called 'Exposure'.

I then modified your formula to look like this:

{=IFERROR(INDEX(Exposure, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($L$1:L2, Exposure), 0)), "")}

But all I am getting is this:

Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure

<colgroup><col style="width: 48pt;" width="64">
<tbody>

</tbody>

First of all what is your (original reference) in the match to COUNTIF($P$1:P1) - P1 happens to be blank and is on top of my pivot table. It just seems random and was wondering that perhaps you meant to reference another cell.
I feel we are very close and almost there....

Upvote 0
Kim,
Still didnt work. First i realised that I could use your formula you specified in step on for my 'Exposure' column in column E (I moved it from column A, because I want to create this list in the same sheet so I just moved the whole pivot table over a few coklumns). So now in my first column (column E) I have a column with a header called Exposure and I created the entire length of the column into a range called 'Exposure'.

I then modified your formula to look like this:

{=IFERROR(INDEX(Exposure, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($L$1:L2, Exposure), 0)), "")}

But all I am getting is this:

Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure
Exposure

<tbody>
</tbody>

First of all what is your (original reference) in the match to COUNTIF($P$1:P1) - P1 happens to be blank and is on top of my pivot table. It just seems random and was wondering that perhaps you meant to reference another cell.
I feel we are very close and almost there....

Hi,

In the COUNTIF, you need to reference $L$1:L1, not $L$1:L2. I know it's blank (or a header or something), that's fine. It's just a counting point of reference. The first line has to "point" to the same line.

Kim.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is what i am looking to do. ColumnA just identifies whether the company name in columnC has 'exposure'.
In column D -which is in the first column of a pivot table- I have the unique user names of this company. That is why I might see multiple instances of the company name in column C. The identification of 'exposure:' associated with the company name tells me that the user names in column D have not traded any market data with our firm hence they are at risk (or at 'exposure') for cancelation.At this stage I don't need to extract those names but perhaps later I might try.
Thanks much.
Nmss18

Column A consists of "exposure" when appropriate.

Column C houses company names with duplicates.

Column D houses "unique user names of company" (a column of some pivot table).

The above and what expires in the last exchanges thwart one's understanding of the problem which must be solved.

You could post a 5 row sample along with the results you want to see.

Upvote 0
Kim\Aladin
Sorry for the confusion. I'll provide an example. (I wanted to install Mrexcel HTML maker but the webserver appears to be offline).
Here is a modified version of my table in columns E to I:

Exposure
Not Traded- User count
Overall # Of Users in Firm
Client Firm
End User
Amazing Growth
AKIRI@AMAZING
ELEVATOR LLC
DCLO@ELEV
Partners Capital Management LP
CK@CP
WINDSOR Capital Advisors Corp
AMYSULLIVAN@windsor
Confluence Capital Management LLC
confluence Capital Management LLC
BLOFTON@confluence
Lodzkie Bank
ADMIN@LODZKIE
XYZ Securities NV
XYZ Securities NV
DVANIMPE@XYZ
Brian Mitchel
David collins
bmitchel@BM
pearl Manager, LLC
pearl Manager, LLC
pearl@PEARL
brantford Bank Securities
BCIPRIANI@BREPS
ginsha LLC
DWILSON@GB
Best Asset Management LLC
CARSLAN@TBAM
CirclePoint Trading LLC
ADMIN11@CPADMIN
Lena William
Lena Williams
LENA@LIGHTSPEED
12097800@confluence
ADMIN@WEINSTEIN
Jeff Mallin
Jeff Mallin
JMALLIN@LIGHTSPEED
Markets Limited
BCRITCHLEY@ML
brantford Bank Securities
CLEE@BRANTFORD
SpeedTrading
DDEMO1@DEMO
XYZ Securities NV
XYZ Securities NV
BMCCAULLEY@WASHINGTON
SpeedTrading
DDEMO2@ST

<tbody>
</tbody>

So from the example above you can see that if the number of users who have NOT traded is the same as the number of all users in that firm, that means that no one in that firm has traded and the firm is at risk for being closed.

These are the results I would like to see in columns A and B

UNIQUE Values
# Users
Confluence Capital Management LLC
XYZ Securities NV
Brian Mitchel
pearl Manager, LLC
Lena William
Jeff Mallin

<tbody>
</tbody>

I could do a simple VLOOKUP for the values in column B.

Since my real table is over 3000 records long I was wondering if there is any concern with the formula taking a long time to calculate each row.
Anyway, I sincerely appreciate the advice and help and look forward to resolving this soon.
nmss18

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back