vba to copy value and paste in worksheet with the same name as value

husker32

Hello all,

I have a workbook that has 121 different worksheets. I would like some help creating a macro that would search the first sheet titled "ledger" in column c. Column C has sudsiary names. Each one of my subsiary names already has a worksheet with the same name. So the macro would need to copy the entire row for all of the claims with the same subsidiary. For example there is a subsiary name reg and there are hundreds of rows of reg claims I want to copy all of those claims and put them in the sheet title reg. Currenlty I have a macro that uses the auto filter to achieve this but it is slow and long. I was hoping that there was a loop that could achieve this goal. Thanks in advance.

First of all: thanks for your time and work. It did help, and works with my sheet.
I will try to dig myself into it.
However what I forgot to mention is that later on I will want to add at least one more sheet where I summarize some of the results, but since the macro deletes all the sheets but the unfiltered I will have to summarize maybe in a new workbook
so I figured out a way to keep a "summary" sheet as well
Code:
If ws.Name <> "ASheetToKeep" And ws.Name <> wks1.Name And ws.Name <> "summary" Then

what I am trying to do now is that on the new sheets created by the macro, some of the columns (G and H to be precise) should be formatted as date and not "Standard". These columns on the "unfiltered" page are formatted as "Date".

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
….. thanks for your time and work. It did help, and works with my sheet.
…………….

You are welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

….
I will try to dig myself into it.
…. forgot to mention is that later on I will want to add at least one more sheet where I summarize some of the results, but since the macro deletes ……
…..
…………….. so I figured out a way to keep a "summary" sheet as well
Code:
If ws.Name <> "ASheetToKeep" And ws.Name <> wks1.Name And ws.Name <> "summary" Then

.. well done.! As you will be using this macro it is very wise to go through and try to understand it. As you see in understanding it you have been able to modify it yourself.

……………….
what I am trying to do now is that on the new sheets created by the macro, some of the columns (G and H to be precise) should be formatted as date and not "Standard". These columns on the "unfiltered" page are formatted as "Date".

. I overlooked that. Sorry.
. Dates formats can be very tricky in both Excel and VBA. You often find that dates get there formats changed unexpectedly.
. I am also working in a German version of excel.
. In which language version of Excel are you using?
. Different date conventions in different countries can also confuse the issue
. I sometimes find that dates are best left adjusted manually.

. But I will take a look and get back to you.
. Keep me in touch please how you get on

. Alan

Upvote 0
. I overlooked that. Sorry.
. Dates formats can be very tricky in both Excel and VBA. You often find that dates get there formats changed unexpectedly.
. I am also working in a German version of excel.
. In which language version of Excel are you using?
. Different date conventions in different countries can also confuse the issue
. I sometimes find that dates are best left adjusted manually.
I am using german version of Excel as well, and the dates are formatted like this in the first sheet: DD.MM.YYYY[space][space]HH:MM

Upvote 0
I am using german version of Excel as well, and the dates are formatted like........

Gruß Gott (Hello)
.. O.k. That is a nice coincidence! So there should be one less complication.
. I think I have the problem solved...
. I will post again once I have done some testing to confirm this

Alan

Upvote 0
OK.
. As I am still learning I overlooked some basic stuff, sorry.
. I summaries the issue and post what I think should easily solve the problem
. But as always, any Profi input would be very welcome here..
. If you look at posts starting at post #32 here
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...-into-multiple-worksheets-based-column-4.html
and more importantly this Thread resulting from a similar problem…
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ypevisible-copy-only-values-not-formulas.html
… you will see that there are some important argument options to consider when Pasting (Manually or using VBA)..

. So to help me understand the problem here, I “cheated” by experimenting manually whilst recording what I was doing with a macro recorder.
. I was experimenting with copying a date from “unfiltered” sheet to one of the columns G in a new sheet.
. I tried a few different options given by Excel up in the Ribbon (Left above in the Home (Start in German) Ribbon. )
. I examined the differences in the resulting codes.

. just a summary here:

D
E
F
G
Einfügen​
Insert​
01.02.2015 00:02​
.Paste​
Formeln​
Formula​
42036.00197​
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormulas​
Werte​
Value​
42036.00197​
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues​
Alles​
Everything​
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteAll​
Formate​
Format​
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats​
Formate, ……...dann Werte​
Format, …….followed by value​
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormats ---------then (dann)----------- .PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues​
Alles mit Quelldesign​
Everything with source design​
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteAllUsingSourceTheme​
Alles außer Rahmen​
Everything except Borders​
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteAllExceptBorders​
Formeln und Zahlenwerte​
Formulas and number Format​
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteFormulasAndNumberFormats​
Werte und Zahlenwerte​
Value and Number Format​
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats​

…………………………………

. In the code which now appears to work I have chosen an option that appears to work. The other options should be born in mind, and possibly further experimented if similar problems arise in the future.

NotE
. 1a) Note additionally that strangely to preserve the Column (German - Spalten) Width when copying an additional Code line is needed of the form
.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteColumnWidths
. 1b) And note strangely again that in the code this must be given just before the Full main Paste code line. (I say strange because Manually you can do this before or after the Full main pasting)
. 1c) You do not however need to concern yourself with this in the code I gave you, as a following line in the code I gave you does a quick “tidy – up” to automatically adjust the Column (Spalten) width to Fit the data

. 2) It may be dangerous to use the simple
.Paste
Option. For reasons to that see in particular the comments about Excel “guessing what version of the clipboard to use here: (from RickXL Post #6)
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...ypevisible-copy-only-values-not-formulas.html

. I Hope that helps take you further ( and helps a bit to learn more about VBA (It did me!!) ).

. Alan

Modified Code with one possible modification shown in Red:

Code:
[color=blue]Option[/color] [color=blue]Explicit[/color]

[color=blue]Sub[/color] PolyColumnToSheet_AlanFeb2015MethodAutoFilterVisibleCellsCopyCriteriaUniqueArray()

Application.ScreenUpdating = [color=blue]False[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Not necerssary but speeds things up a bit, by turning screen updating off. Good to edit out for Debuging Purposes.[/color]
[color=blue]On[/color] [color=blue]Error[/color] [color=blue]GoTo[/color] TheEnd [color=lightgreen]'If anything goes wrong go to the End instead of crashing. Useful to Edit out for Debuging[/color]
[color=blue]Dim[/color] wks1 [color=blue]As[/color] Worksheet: [color=blue]Set[/color] wks1 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("unfiltered") [color=lightgreen]'set sheet name - Give abbreviation for "unfiltered" sheet in ThisWorkbook all Objects, Properties and Methods of Object Worksheet obtainable to view in the intellisense given after typing . Dot[/color]

[color=lightgreen]'1) Optional Start Bit to Delete Sheets / Tabs------------[/color]
        Application.DisplayAlerts = [color=blue]False[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Prevents being asked everytime if you really want to delete the Workbook[/color]
        [color=blue]Dim[/color] ws [color=blue]As[/color] Worksheet [color=lightgreen]'Tempory worksheet name. ws now has Methods and Properties of Worksheets obtained with typing . dot after it![/color]
        [color=blue]For[/color] [color=blue]Each[/color] ws [color=blue]In[/color] ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets [color=lightgreen]'We could alternatively use something like ThisWorkbook, Workbooks("Itsname.xlxm")[/color]
            [color=blue]If[/color] ws.Name <> "ASheetToKeep" And ws.Name <> wks1.Name And ws.Name <> "summary" [color=blue]Then[/color]  [color=lightgreen]'Check that Worksheet name is not that of any that you want (Name property here returns name without .xlsm bit on end)[/color]
            ws.Delete
            [color=blue]Else[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Presumably then the worksheet name is That of the first sheet or any you wish to keep[/color]
            [color=lightgreen]' do nothing (Don't delete it!)[/color]
            [color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]If[/color]
        [color=blue]Next[/color] ws
        Application.DisplayAlerts = [color=blue]True[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Turn it back on[/color]
        [color=lightgreen]'---End Bit to delete any Sheets / Tabs--------------------[/color]

[color=lightgreen]'Some variables used in various places[/color]
[color=blue]Dim[/color] vLkUpc [color=blue]As[/color] Long: [color=blue]Let[/color] vLkUpc = 1 [color=lightgreen]'set column number 'Column where search criteria for filtering is. '( Long is a Big whole Number limit (-2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647) If you need some sort of validation the value should only be within the range of a Byte/Integer otherwise there's no point using anything but Long.--upon/after 32-bit, Integers (Short) need converted internally anyways, so a Long is actually faster.[/color]
[color=blue]Dim[/color] rws [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]Long[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Bound variable Row count used in looping[/color]
[color=blue]Dim[/color] lr [color=blue]As[/color] Long: [color=blue]Let[/color] lr = wks1.Cells.Find(what:="*", After:=wks1.Cells(1, 1), Lookat:=xlPart, LookIn:=xlFormulas, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row [color=lightgreen]'Get last Row with entry anywhere for Sheet1. Method: You start at first cell then go backwards (which effectively starts at end of sheet), sercching for anything ( = * ) by rows, then get the row number. This allows for different excel versions with different available Row numbers) Just a different method here for fun- finds last row in sheet rather than row for last entry in particular cell[/color]
[color=blue]Dim[/color] lshtc [color=blue]As[/color] Long: [color=blue]Let[/color] lshtc = wks1.Columns.Count [color=lightgreen]'Number of Columns in sheet...### used as column number for tempory unique column...###[/color]
    [color=lightgreen]'Let lshtc = 21 'This is useful for debugging so that you can see the tempory column of unique license plate numbers[/color]
[color=blue]Dim[/color] lc [color=blue]As[/color] Long: [color=blue]Let[/color] lc = wks1.Cells(1, lshtc).End(xlToLeft).Column [color=lightgreen]'Last column with entry in heading in unfiltered sheet. Found by starting at last cell in row 1, then going backwards (ToLeft) until something is found, with .End returning a range from which the column property can be used to get the column number[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'--------------------------------------[/color]

[color=lightgreen]'2) make an Array for Unique Search values, using a Tempory column[/color]
    [color=blue]Let[/color] wks1.Cells(1, lshtc) = "Unique" [color=lightgreen]'...###The last Column inn the sheet is used. (This has an advantage of not interfering with our Method for getting lc). Here just for fun we give the array, that is to say the tempory column, a heading[/color]
        [color=blue]For[/color] rws = 2 [color=blue]To[/color] lr [color=blue]Step[/color] 1 [color=lightgreen]'Going down all rows  from just after heading in First sheet[/color]
        [color=blue]On[/color] [color=blue]Error[/color] [color=blue]Resume[/color] [color=blue]Next[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Necersary to ensure the looping goes on if the match cannot be determined, as below we have a look Up Array with empty cells[/color]
            [color=blue]If[/color] wks1.Cells(rws, vLkUpc) <> "" And Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(wks1.Cells(rws, vLkUpc), wks1.Columns(lshtc), 0) = 0 [color=blue]Then[/color] [color=lightgreen]'provided something is there, we check to see if that value is already in our vLook Up Array by looking to see for a match. If it is not there then.....[/color]
            wks1.Cells(wks1.Rows.Count, lshtc).End(xlUp).Offset(1) = wks1.Cells(rws, vLkUpc) [color=lightgreen]'.....Put  it there[/color]
            [color=blue]Else[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Else do nothing[/color]
        [color=blue]Next[/color] rws
    [color=blue]Dim[/color] myarr() [color=blue]As[/color] [color=blue]Variant[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Array for Unique search criteria. Important to get this Dimensioning right. Variant must be used as below  initially an object is seen...>>  http://www.excelforum.com/excel-new-users-basics/1058406-range-dimensioning-range-and-value-referencing-and-referring-to-arrays.html[/color]
    myarr() = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(wks1.Columns(lshtc).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues).Value) [color=lightgreen]'just a complicated but nice one-liner way of getting just the values and no empty cells in the Array. XlcellTypeConstants just gives constants, the second argument is the type. Here Strings are there as the heading made sure of that - here excel guessed based on that due to the heading string "Unique".. This could be an untypical case where that second argument could be left out. Transpose is just to get the Array as A Row of Columns which we need rather than a Column of rows as is in the tempory Column.[/color]
    wks1.Columns(lshtc).Delete [color=lightgreen]'Delete the tempory Column (Delete is usually better than Clear.. >>  http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/787428-clear-delete-shift-%3Dxlup-let-y-%3D-y-%96-1-usedrange-rows-count-anomale.html[/color]
    [color=lightgreen]'---End of making an Array----------------------------------------[/color]

[color=lightgreen]'3 ) Make a New worksheet with the name of the Unique search criteria, and in the same loop.....--->>-[/color]
        [color=blue]For[/color] rws = 2 [color=blue]To[/color] [color=blue]UBound[/color](myarr) [color=lightgreen]'For each unique value in the Array[/color]
        wks1.Range(wks1.Cells(1, 1), wks1.Cells(lr, lc)).AutoFilter Field:=vLkUpc, Criteria1:="" & myarr(rws) & "" [color=lightgreen]'This blends out everything except  where rows meet our search citeria[/color]
            [color=blue]If[/color] [color=blue]Not[/color] Evaluate("=ISREF('" & myarr(rws) & "'!A1)") Then [color=lightgreen]'Check to see if the sheet is there by seeing if the reference to cell A1 in that sheet doesn#t exist. If it is true that it does not exist, then[/color]
            Sheets.Add(After:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)).Name = "" & myarr(rws) & "" [color=lightgreen]'Make it as that after the last sheet[/color]
            [color=blue]Else[/color]
            Sheets("" & myarr(rws) & "").Move After:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count) [color=lightgreen]'Otherwise If the sheet is there it could be anywhere so we put it after last sheet[/color]

[color=lightgreen]'.......->>---...Copy Entire row that is visible (Not blended out) to the current sheet in loop[/color]
        wks1.Range("A" & 1 & ":A" & lr & "").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Copy [color=lightgreen]'Copy just wot is visible after filtering[/color]
          [color=lightgreen]'Worksheets(myarr(rws)).Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteColumnWidths' Note this would need to be done as an additional line. IMPORTANT Unlike manually it must be done just before the main Paste line[/color]
        Worksheets(myarr(rws)).Range("A1").PasteSpecial Paste:=[color=red]xlPasteAllUsingSourceTheme[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Being very Explicit here with an extra line enabling us to Paste Special with arguments to make sure the correct version from Clipboard is copied[/color]
        Worksheets("" & myarr(rws) & "").Columns.AutoFit [color=lightgreen]'Just "tidy - up" a bit[/color]
            [color=lightgreen]'wks1.AutoFilterMode = False 'Normally done at end of code to make all unfiltered sheet visible. But Putting here helps with debugging[/color]

wks1.AutoFilterMode = [color=blue]False[/color] [color=lightgreen]'This only needs to be done at the end, but doing it every time here helps in debugging by making all data re- visible on main sheet[/color]
        [color=blue]Next[/color] rws
    [color=lightgreen]'----End making (if necerssary) new sheet and copying filtered rows to it[/color]

wks1.Activate [color=lightgreen]'Activate that sheet 1 just to see it[/color]

TheEnd: [color=lightgreen]'We come here on erroring rather than crashing. Anything that should be done before ending the macro should be done here, to make sure it will always be dine ecen if the code crashes![/color]
wks1.AutoFilterMode = [color=blue]False[/color] [color=lightgreen]'re - Blend in everything in sheet 1[/color]
Application.ScreenUpdating = [color=blue]True[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Screen need to be turned back on or your screen will be "dead"!! Important to turn screen on here, incase anything goes wrong.[/color]
Application.CutCopyMode = [color=blue]False[/color] [color=lightgreen]'Stops screen selection flicke after Pasting[/color]
[color=blue]End[/color] [color=blue]Sub[/color] [color=lightgreen]'PolyColumnToSheet_AlanFeb2015MethodAutoFilterVisibleCellsCopyCriteriaUniqueArray()[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'[/color]
'
'I have a sheet called "unfiltered" where a lots of trucks' fuel consumption is listed in each row. The first column ("A") has the license plate numbers. And all my sheets are named according to the license plates.
[color=lightgreen]'What I want to do is to copy the rows to the given sheets based on the license plate numbers. The first row in all of the sheets are labels. So for example: A2 = MDN-229, and I want this row to be copied to the sheet name "MDN-229".[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'I have 140 trucks and a few thousand rows in the "unfiltered" sheet.[/color]
'Basically what I want to do is, that after I put datas in the “unfiltered” sheet and run the macro,  all of the rows should be moved in the specific sheets according to the license plate numbers (column A). So after I ran the macro the “unfiltered” sheet should be empty and the datas are moved to the correct sheet.
[color=lightgreen]'And later on when I have new datas, I just put them in the unfiltered sheet again, and run the macro.[/color]
'…. forgot to mention is that later on I will want to add at least one more sheet
[color=lightgreen]'........And ws.Name <> "summary"[/color]
[color=lightgreen]' As you will be using this macro it is very wise to go through and try to understand it. As you see in understanding it you have been able to modify it yourself.[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'what I am trying to do now is that on the new sheets created by the macro, some of the columns (G and H to be precise) should be formatted as date and not "Standard". These columns on the "unfiltered" page are formatted as "Date".[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'  Alan idiot: . "I overlooked that. Sorry."[/color]
'.........
'Einfügen    Insert  01.02.2015 00:02    .Paste
[color=lightgreen]'Formeln Formula 42036.00197 .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteFormulas[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'Werte   Value   42036.00197 .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteValues[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'Alles   Everything  01.02.2015 00:02    .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteAll[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'Formate Format      .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteFormats[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'Formate,     dann              Werte    Format,    followed by                        value 01.02.2015 00:02    .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteFormats               .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteValues[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'Alles mit Quelldesign   Everything with source design   01.02.2015 00:02    .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteAllUsingSourceTheme[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'Alles außer Rahmen  Everything except Borders   01.02.2015 00:02    .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteAllExceptBorders[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'Formeln und Zahlenwerte Formulas and number Format  01.02.2015 00:02    .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteFormulasAndNumberFormats[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'Werte und Zahlenwerte   Value and Number Format 01.02.2015 00:02    .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats[/color]
[color=lightgreen]'..........   seperate line needed for  .PasteSpecial   Paste:=xlPasteColumnWidths[/color]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry 'bout that. Amazing how a couple of keystrokes can make all the difference!

Try this.

Change this line
Code:
[COLOR=#574123]lstrow2 = Sheets(Sheet.Name).Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row[/COLOR]

with this line
Code:
[COLOR=#574123]lstrow2 = Sheets(Sheet.Name).Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row + 1[/COLOR]

Also I used column A but you could use a different column if A doesn't work well with your data. You might want to use Column C instead.

Hello. Thanks for the code. Works well with my spreadsheet except for the line :
lstrow2 = Sheets(Sheet.Name).Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row + 1

I changed it to "Row + 5" as I wanted the data to be copied onto row "A6" of the worksheets I'm copying to with subsequent data copied to "A7" and so on. The first row of data was correctly copied but the subsequent rows were copied at 5 row intervals instead.

Will greatly appreciate if you can help me with this problem. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Howdy,
By changing the +1 into +5 you are telling it to add 5 rows to the last row with data in it for that column.

If you want to start on row A6 you could do something like this:
Code:
Lstrow2 = Sheets("Sheet Name").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
If Lstrow2 < 6 then
     Lstrow2 = 6
End If
This will make Lstrow2 start on row 6, but then advance 1 row at a time after that.

I also changed the code a bit in case you are using a later version of Office.
65536 lines was a limit found in Office 2003.

Also the 1 refers to which column you want the code to look at, if you were wondering.
Code:
Cells(Rows.Count, 1)

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Howdy,
By changing the +1 into +5 you are telling it to add 5 rows to the last row with data in it for that column.

If you want to start on row A6 you could do something like this:
Code:
Lstrow2 = Sheets("Sheet Name").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
If Lstrow2 < 6 then
     Lstrow2 = 6
End If
This will make Lstrow2 start on row 6, but then advance 1 row at a time after that.

I also changed the code a bit in case you are using a later version of Office.
65536 lines was a limit found in Office 2003.

Also the 1 refers to which column you want the code to look at, if you were wondering.
Code:
Cells(Rows.Count, 1)

Hope this helps

It worked great. Thanks again for the code and your time to reply to my problem. Cheers.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back