Alternative to Vlookup with hundred thousand lines

MYORCHID26

Hi,
I have been using vlookup for the longest time, however it takes up so much memory as I use multiple sheets at one time.
Is there an alternative that is faster and effective? I tried index and match and it doesnt look like it works. I get #n/a
In my contacts excel file, I created a vlookup to column A (lookup contact IDs) to acct.xlsx sheet 1 to return the value (name of the contact) in column C.
Issue is that my contacts file has over 300,000 lines.

=VLOOKUP($A:$A,'[Acct.xlsx]Sheet1'!$A:$C,3,FALSE)

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hi,

Have you tried the Index-Match combination ...?

HTH

Upvote 0
If Vlookup works then a properly formed Index - Match will work, but I doubt it would be any quicker. I can only think of two things that may be quicker; loading an Array or Scripting Dictionary with the data to memory via VBA (but it will reduce available memory) or splitting the contacts over several sheets (or named ranges) so that a smaller range is searched.

Upvote 0
Don't use entire columns (such as A:A) when using VLOOKUP. This makes calculations much slower. If, for example, your data goes from A2 to A97659 in a column, then make sure to use those exact numbers.

Upvote 0
Maybe:
Code:
[URL="http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155942"][COLOR=#1155cc]http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/<wbr>[/COLOR]showthread.php?t=155942[/URL]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Sub[/COLOR] test()  
    [COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR] a, i [COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]Long[/COLOR] 
    a =  Sheets("sheet2").Range("a1").<wbr>CurrentRegion.Resize(, 2).Value  
    [COLOR=#0000ff]With[/COLOR] CreateObject("Scripting.<wbr>Dictionary")  
        [COLOR=#0000ff]For[/COLOR] i = 2 [COLOR=#0000ff]To[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]UBound[/COLOR](a, 1)  
             .Item(a(i, 1)) = a(i, 2) 
        [COLOR=#0000ff]Next[/COLOR] 
        a =  Sheets("sheet1").Range("a1").<wbr>CurrentRegion.Resize(, 3).Value  
        a(1, 3) = "Supplier Name"  
        [COLOR=#0000ff]For[/COLOR] i = 2 [COLOR=#0000ff]To[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000ff]UBound[/COLOR](a, 1)  
            [COLOR=#0000ff]If[/COLOR] .exists(a(i, 2)) [COLOR=#0000ff]Then[/COLOR] a(i, 3) = .Item(a(i, 2))  
        [COLOR=#0000ff]Next[/COLOR] 
    [COLOR=#0000ff]End With[/COLOR] 
     Sheets("sheet1").Range("a1").<wbr>CurrentRegion.Resize(, 3).Value = a 
[COLOR=#0000ff]End Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Hi Teeroy and Claudis,
I did try index and match and it's a little quicker and narrowed down by choosing exact # rows. Hope to get a faster processor soon. I will try the VBA that Armando suggested. Though I've never used VBA.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back