Help with reading all the workbooks in one folder, and returning all cell results which contain a certain keyword after entering string into search pr

MisterSrosis

Hello I am new to this forum, so forgive me if my formatting is off when showing my code. However my code is entirely based off of these 2 sources, for I believe they accomplish the majority of the task that I want my macro to accomplish. Here's the first one Search all workbooks in a folder | Get Digital Help - Microsoft Excel resource, this macro creates a new worksheet that houses info on which cells contain the string that you entered into the search prompt, and even links you to the cell which was found. However the problem is, the string you enter must exactly match the cell's string or else it will not return a match. Another problem is that the macro opens all the workbooks in a very quick successive order, and while almost not noticeable I would much rather prefer to rad from closed workbooks, meaning no workbooks will be opened during the running of the macro. In this case I referred to this link which I believe presents a very good solution. However I don't simply want to copy down code, and would much rather this forum maybe generating some pseudocode that I can work with, and maybe give me some to think and reply back with my code. Note: This is the second link Read information from a closed workbook using VBA in Microsoft Excel | Files, Workbook, and Worksheets in VBA

Edit #1: tldr: I need my macro to search for all cells containing a single keyword, for example if I enter "standard" into the input box, I expect all cells containing titles such as "Standard Rectifiers", "Standard Recover Diodes", etc. to appear on my search results.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back