Remove duplicate items only after finding the highest value of the duplicate items

Higgy843

Good evening one and all, I'm new to forums so please be patient. I will try to get all the information across as needed.

Basically I have a list of products with associated prices. The product list has duplicates. I would like to narrow the list to single items but only when I have found the highest price for each duplicated item.

I have tried Vlookup, INDEX, MATCH a combination of all the lot but can't seem to get it. Would really appreciate some assistance.

Archers£0.78Archers£0.79
Archers*£0.79
Bacardi / White Rum£0.78Bacardi / White Rum£0.78
Blue Curacao£0.71Blue Curacao£0.71
Bombay Sapphire£1.24Bombay Sapphire£1.24
Brandy£0.53Brandy£0.53
Cactus Jacks Apple / Cherry Sours / Kola£0.33Cactus Jacks Apple / Cherry Sours / Kola£0.33
Cinzano Bianco£0.43Cinzano Bianco£0.43
Cointreau£1.14Cointreau£1.14
Coors Light Can£1.63Coors Light Can£1.77
Coors Light Can*£1.77
Coors Light Can**£1.40
Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer£2.89Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer£2.89
Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer*£2.48
Crimson Finch (Shiraz)£7.03Crimson Finch (Shiraz)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Function I have to remove duplicates in Column D:
=IF((COUNTIF(A:A,A1)<>1)+(A1=""),"",A1)

Need to find the highest price of item first though before this is executed, so it would need to be nested into another function I suspect.

The values are taken from an inventory list and can be removed there so the references cannot be absolute. they must look for the product, see if it is a duplicate, find the highest price and record before removing the duplicated product and lower prices.

I'm using Excel 2013 but have 2007 to operate on if needed.

Many thanks for your time and efforts guys, hope it's clear. I can provide a spreadsheet if required just couldn't see where to upload it.

Ash

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
You can use a frequency formula to select the unique items. You can use a =max formula to get the largest value. Assume your items are in A1:A10 and amounts are in B1:B10. Place these formulas in D1 and E1

D1:
=IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$10,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($A$1:$A$10<>"",MATCH($A$1:$A$10,$A$1:$A$10,0)),ROW($A$1:$A$10)-ROW($A$1)+1),ROW($A$1:$A$10)-ROW($A$1)+1),ROWS($D$1:D1))),"") Use Cntrl-Shift-Enter. copy down This will show only the unique items.

E1: =Max(if($A$1:$A$10=$D$1,$B$1:$B$10)) The item in D1 is your first unique item. This will solve the highest number for this unique item. Copy formula down for each next unique item in list.

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Amazing, thanks for the super fast response. I'll study the formulae and figure out how it's done.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I probably should have used $D1 instead of $D$1 to make the max formula select the next item in column D. But I think you can get the sense of the max formula

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back