Excel 2013 unable to detect blank cells

MarkB1

Hello,

I am wishing to create code to jump down to the first empty row of Column A. However, for some reason, Excel 2013 is not treating these blank rows as actually blank. This is evident by using the Go To Special (Blanks) function, by testing for blanks in Column A using formulas (e.g., =CODE(A3), etc.), and other methods.

I'm wishing to take the contents of cell B2 and paste it within the first empty row of column A. The code I'm using is below:
Code:
    Range("B2").Select
    Selection.Cut
    Range("A1").Select
    Application.Goto Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1), Scroll:=True
    ActiveSheet.Paste
Unfortunately, this does not paste within the proper cell (in this case, Cell A3). Any ideas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r93a697wbvqc1ye/Test Workbook2.xlsx?dl=0

Thanks!

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
MarkB1,

Your cells in A do indeed appear to be empty and a formula test with e.g. =LEN(A3) returns 0.

However, there is something invisibly amiss.

In the immediate pane of the vba editor, type .....
Code:
Range("A3:A500").Clear
and then hit return and you should find that will clear it.

Upvote 0
Selecting the column and using Data - Text to columns then clicking finish also worked for me, then I used the code...

Code:
Sub xxx()
    Range("B2").Cut Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1)

End Sub

Upvote 0
Selecting the column and using Data - Text to columns then clicking finish also worked for me, then I used the code...

Code:
Sub xxx()
    Range("B2").Cut Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1)

End Sub

Thanks for the help, guys. Both solutions worked--with Mark's solution being the best-fitting for my overall code. I do have a question though--what is going on and why does the Text-to-Columns actually work?

Upvote 0
what is going on
I am as unsure exactly what was actually in the cell as Snakehips appeared to be with the statement
However, there is something invisibly amiss
as I couldn't extract a specific character number from the cell but using an =ISBLANK()
formula always came up FALSE so there was definitely something there.

Code:
why does the Text-to-Columns actually work?

Exactly how the mechanics actually work I can't tell you as I don't know enough about Microsoft's programming, but basically if you go to text to columns and click the next button twice on the screen that then appears towards the top you will see there is a section which changes the data format (rather than the normal formats which only changes the appearance and not the underlying value/text etc. of the cell).

It is this that we are using as it seems to strip out most annoying characters (you will see it get used quite often to change numbers stored as text to real numbers).

Afraid not my most technical answer ever but hopefully it helps a tiny bit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back