linking raw data to populate a formatted spreadsheet on another tab

Cliffordico

I work with an architectural program called Revit. Revit generates list of doors but not in a format I can use to present. The format the door list has to be presented is preset in Excel. To transfer the data from Revit to Excel I export as CSV. In Excel, I create a new tab and import the data. The other tab contains the actual spreadsheet to print. My plan was to somehow link the raw data imported from the CSV in the raw tab to the cells in the final and formatted spreadsheet in other tab. So far, I tried simple selecting one cell in the formatted spreadsheet tab and using =a cell in the raw tab. This works, and I can even do this to a group of cells.

Here are my problems:

- If I add a new door in Revit, it will add a new row. When I export as CSV and refresh the imported data in Excel, the new row will be added there too. The problem is the formatted tab now shows the extra row but removes the last one. Is it possible to make it grow too if a new row is added to the raw spreadsheet?

-The raw spreadsheet list all the doors in one single shot, sorted by size, but all in one shot. The formatted spreadsheet on the other tab, breaks the doors by size, listing all the doors from one size and adding another row with the totals, then add a blank line and continues listing the other doors with a different size, also adding another row to the totals and so on. That said, the "Total" and blank rows are being added in between the data. How can I "break" the data coming from the raw tab in order to add these extra rows and then continue with the raw data to list the other door sizes?

- Empty cells in the raw data tab are being brought as 0 in the cells in the formatted spreadsheet tab.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Just bumping this.

I can't believe there's no way to have a source data sheet that feeds another sheet where the data is filtered or sorted differently than the original raw data coming from the source data sheet.
Do you know any way of doing this?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back