Any way to tag a cell containing a date value as complete?

JKuzia

I may be reaching for the sky here, since I have found nothing when searching online for an answer. I am using excel as a dashboard for multiple (hundreds) of projects to report progress. I can format the dates that are late, early or on time using a comparison between a baseline worksheet and a current worksheet. However, when a task is completed, I would like the cell to be highlighted in green, but to retain the date value (in both sheets). In the past, I have used a third worksheet to hold all of the individual dates and a "Completed" or "In progress" (basically yes or no) status. However, there are 50 dates per project and over 500 projects now, so this manual method is becoming quite cumbersome. I wondered if there was anything I was overlooking to allow a user to tag each cell as either "yes" or "no" to allow for formatting without over-writing the date value in that cell?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
The usual way would be for each activity to have a record of its own and a set of statuses that could be selected.

However, if you just want the cell on the dashboard to go green why not get the users to change the fill colour of the cell to green?

Upvote 0
I had been using the usual way, but since there are 62 records per row, each requiring a record and over 600 projects, the data was getting cumbersome. I was hoping there was a method to reduce size. The users themselves do not update the dashboard, they maintain an individual tab that populates a data sheet for compilation. And with ten users, there is always non-conformance to color coding, updating, etc. But if there is not another method, then I will make do. Thanks for the response!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back