Conditional formatting based on a 1-column named range

changeling jack

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

Having some trouble with Excel 2013/Windows 7. I am trying to get a column in a table to conditionally format the contents of a cell if the text is contained on one of several named ranges on a separate worksheet. Each named range has a selection of metal alloys and we use certain colors to easily identify an alloy by base element. Some things which may have bearing:

• The column I want formatted has a data validation drop-down menu sourced from a named range [Alloys] on another worksheet. It is not the same named range (e.g., [Alloys_Blue]) as those I want to use for the conditional formatting, but it contains a selection of the same entries.
  • Each named range is part of a named table (e.g., [tbl_Alloys_Blue]).
  • No entry appears on more than one of the named ranges which will be used for conditional formatting.

The only questions I've found on the internet about similar problems do not fix this issue as they are all specific to some other modifier being needed to make the rule work. VLOOKUP doesn't seem to do the trick.

So far I have only succeeded in coloring all cells one color regardless of their contents, or making a rule which works for the first two cells and then breaks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

Thanks much,
Jacob

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
you may be able to use a countif()

are we looking across a lot of different name range

can you give some examples of the column range and where you are looking up
and what decides the colour

perhaps even an example of your data and also a manual mock up of the expected results you want to achieve.maybe on a file sharing site - dropbox , onedrive etc

Upvote 0
changeling jack,

I'm not able to test this right now or post a snapshot, however, try.....

Named ranges e.g. Alloys_Blue, Alloys_Red

Select the column range that you wish to format, e.g. A2:A20

Then add a CF using formula..... =COUNTIF(Alloys_Blue,$A2)>1 set format colour to blue.

Repeat for red with =COUNTIF(Alloys_Red,$A2)>1 etc etc

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Snakehips & etaf,

Thanks for the advice. The column to be formatted was B, row 2. I got it to work with:

=COUNTIF(Alloys_Blue,$B2)=1 (I started with >1 as suggested but it didn't do anything)

There are a total of seven color values, which all appear to be properly implementing their own colors on the same column. They all follow the same formula above, but with the color name swapped out.

Thanks again!
Jacob

Upvote 0
You are welcome. Glad we could help, despite stupid typo on my part. (Should have been >0 )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back