Pass A Password To A Protected Workbook

markkramer

Board Regular
Unlike the posts that I've located on the site, I actually know the password of the workbook I'm trying to open! My question is how to pass that password to the workbook in my code so that the user is not bothered with having to enter in the password (I don't want them to know it anyway).

I tried this combination but that didn't do the trick:

Workbooks.Open Filename:="myworkbook.xls"
ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect Password:="abcd1234"

Somehow I need to open the workbook and pass the password at the same time.

Thanks for you help!

M

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Markkramer,
you can put this in the workbookmodule
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
End Sub
It would be good to add this too
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
ActiveWorkbook.Protect Password:="abcd1234"
End Sub

regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
Thanks, Erik.

If I understand what you're suggesting, then when the subroutine reaches my code that has the "workbooks.open" command it will automatically know to read the Private Sub Workbook_Open() routine that you've listed in the calling workbook that you've listed.

(let me know if I'm wrong here!)

If so, that may create some problems since the code excerpt is actually part of a hundred something lines of code in a single subroutine that opens a series of workbooks, each with their own password (and some without passwords). If "abcd1234" is passed everytime I open a workbook, there will be a series of password failures on the other workbooks.

Is there an easy way to just pass the password along with the Workbooks_Open command?

M

Upvote 0
it's a "Private" Sub
==> only the workbook itself will be affected
in fact here I didn't change your code, but in general we would prefere
"Thisworkbook" or even more simple "Me"

regards,
Erik

Upvote 0
So are you saying that I put the Private Sub in the workbook being opened as opposed to the workbook that has the VBA code that is calling the workbook?

If so, then won't it run anytime someone opens the password protected workbook from Windows Explorer, for example? Seems to me that would defeat the purpose of password protecting the workbook. The only time we want someone to be able to open this workbook is when the VBA code opens the workbook and passes the password to unlock it.

If I'm still not understanding, I do appreciate your patience in explaining this to me!

M

Upvote 0
Your are right, with the password in the open event you might as well just never protect it.

Try

Workbooks("myworkbook").Unprotect Password:="abcd1234"

Upvote 0
Thanks, Jacob.

Unfortunately, it's the WORKBOOKS.OPEN command that seemed to trigger the password dialog box. I tried reversing the order of the commands you suggested but that just gave me an error message.

Other ideas?

M

Upvote 0
yes, in the workbook being opened
I didn't ask you why you would do that to my thoughts it was to force the users to open only with macros enabled ...
So this is not an option for you.

the code that you posted initially works fine for me
as a matter of fact you need the expression "ActiveWorkbook"
since the newly opened workbook becomes the activeworkbook, it should work

Do you get an error ?

Upvote 0
See how this works for you:

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> OpenMe()
    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Open password protected files</SPAN>
    Application.Workbooks.Open _
    "C:\Path\FileName.xls", _
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>, <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN>, , "password"
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Where the structure is as follows:</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Application.Workbooks.Open([Filename As String], [Update Links],</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   [Read Only], [Format], [Password], [WriteResPassword],</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   [IgnoreReadOnlyRecommended], [Origin], [Delimiter], [Editable],</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   [Notify], [Converter], [AddtoMRU]) As Workbook</SPAN>
</FONT>

Hope that helps,

Smitty

Upvote 0
Hey Erik;

Sorry I threw you off. I certainly didn't mean to!

If I step through the code in the debugger, the password dialog box pops up as soon as the Workbooks.Open Filename:="myworkbook.xls" command line is triggered.

It then sits there until I enter the password and click OK in the dialog box.

It then goes on to the ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect Password:="abcd1234" command line. Which, at this point, doesn't do anything since the workbook is already opened.

So the question is: How do I open the workbook and pass it the password so I can get to the data in it and bypass the dialog box?

Thanks again!

M

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back