Link to another workbook - reference

Cam12

Hi

Im trying to figure ut if it's a way so solve the above but have not yet found a way.

if we look at a normal cell reference to another workbook it can look like this.

Code:
=COUNTIF('[test.xls]Data'!$F$6:$F$65536;'Failures  Data'!D12

But what i now want to do is to not have to have the text "test.xls" in the formula, instead i want to link that information to another cell where i can write down the name of the file it should look for, the reason is that the test.xls file will be updated regularly so it will be version 1 and then version 2 and so on and i don´t want to have to change all the formulas in the different cells every time.

In my head simply putted it would be something like
Code:
=COUNTIF('[B1]Data'!$F$6:$F$65536;'Failures  Data'!D12

Hopefully someone might understand what i mean

Many Thanks for any help i can get.

// Cam12

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Hi Cam12, Using a cell reference for a filename can be done with the INDIRECT formula function, however INDIRECT only works if the referenced external workbook is open.

Two VBA UDF's (User Defined Functions) that are workarounds are getvalue from John Walkenbach, or the Pull function from Harlan Grove.

A simpler technique that doesn't require VBA would be to do a Find-Replace in your workbook
Find what: "test version 01.xls"
Replace with: "test version 02.xls"

Alternatively, you can update the link references in all your formulas in one step through Edit Links > Change Source...

Upvote 0
Hi Cam12, Using a cell reference for a filename can be done with the INDIRECT formula function, however INDIRECT only works if the referenced external workbook is open.

Two VBA UDF's (User Defined Functions) that are workarounds are getvalue from John Walkenbach, or the Pull function from Harlan Grove.

A simpler technique that doesn't require VBA would be to do a Find-Replace in your workbook
Find what: "test version 01.xls"
Replace with: "test version 02.xls"

Alternatively, you can update the link references in all your formulas in one step through Edit Links > Change Source...

Thanks for the reply, it really helps me in the correct direction.
I already have an VBA that opens the reference workbook so that problems is solved, I'm a bit unsure do of how to use INDIRECT in my COUNTIFS. What i tried is as bellow and just get #REF so something is not correct with what i do.

Code:
=COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("'"&$C$1&"'!Data'!$F$6:$F$65536");'Failures Data'!D12;INDIRECT("'"&$C$1&"'!Data'!$V$6:$V$65536");'Failures Data'!$A$6)

Any ide? Thanks!

// Tobias

Upvote 0
Tobias,

The formula would need to be slightly different depending on whether the value in $C$1 is like: "test1.xlsx" or "[test1.xlsx]" or "test1".

Assuming that the value is like "test1.xlsx", this should work...

Code:
=COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("'[" &C1 & "]Data'!$F$6:$F$65536");'Failures Data'!E12;
    INDIRECT("'[" &C1 & "]Data'!$V$6:$V$65536");'Failures Data'!A6)

Upvote 0
Tobias,

The formula would need to be slightly different depending on whether the value in $C$1 is like: "test1.xlsx" or "[test1.xlsx]" or "test1".

Assuming that the value is like "test1.xlsx", this should work...

Code:
=COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("'[" &C1 & "]Data'!$F$6:$F$65536");'Failures Data'!E12;
    INDIRECT("'[" &C1 & "]Data'!$V$6:$V$65536");'Failures Data'!A6)

Forgott to thank you, it worked great, many thanks!

// Tobias

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiz11713

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back