ComboBox issue with properties and name missing

Bghoover33

Has anyone had an issue where their ComboBoxes in Debug mode do not have properties? It's like they don't even exist, when I right click on the box. I ran a Workbook_Open subroutine and it continues to fail due to Run-time error '438' Object doesn't support this property or method. When I walked through my code, I noticed it wasn't connecting with the ComboBox name.

This apparently has only been an issue with some users, so perhaps it could be a setting issue of some kind. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hi,
I'm experiencing exactly the same issue for last two days. Most probably the combobox inserted is an ActiveX object. After update, some security settings for activex were changed.
To find out, whether the actual object in excel is of ActiveXtype, switch on the design mode and click on the object. If it does display =EMBED("Forms.ComboBox.1";"") in the excel formula filed, then this object is an external activex object (therefore embedded into the excel file). If you use other language version, than the work EMBED may be translated (pain in the a..).
Can you insert new activex object into excel document? (Under the troublesome user account, in excel design mode, try to insert new ActiveX control).

I solved this by the first option, but basically, you have two:
1. reinsert the combobox object as Form control (intead of activeX control) and rewrite the VBA code. (What I used)
2. try to adjust the activex settings in inetcpl.cpl

You should go the first way, since this should prevent future issues. If you choose this approach, see quick reference on the VBA excel-form-combobox at:
Working with combo boxes (Form Control) using vba | Get Digital Help - Microsoft Excel resource

Good luck.
Martin Svojsik

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back