Formula Modification

wpeggott

I am building a work tracker that will tell me how many days it takes to complete a particular project. I want my tracker to count the days it takes for a project to be completed based on the date it opened and the date it closed. I used this formula to automatically count the days for me: =IF(B2="","",TODAY()-B2)

When I went to input dates for older projects I already received, the formula did not work anymore. Do I need a separate counter for the older projects versus the current counter for new projects? If not, how can I capture older dates with my current formula?

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Not sure exactly what you mean. Older projects that you already received? In what way were they not working? Do you mean because they were already completed so you just want the completed date minus the started date?

Upvote 0
I want to enter the actual days I received projects (some of which were in the last two weeks) on my spreadsheet. Then I want to enter the actual days it took for me to complete the projects. I want my formula to add up the amount of days it took for me to complete the respective projects from the date I actually received the project to the date I actually completed the project. Currently, when I add projects from last week into my spreadsheet, with their respective received and completed dates, instead of the cell showing me the number of days it actually took to complete a project, it shows the number of days between date I received the project and today.

Upvote 0
If you have start and end dates, it's just =enddate-startdate.

Today() is volatile and changes everyday. Your present formula gives the amount of days the project is running and will increase by one everyday.

Upvote 0
yes, because I want to be able to count how many days a project is open if it does not have an end date attached to it yet.

Upvote 0
The cell should be blank. My original issue was when I used my first formula, the cell that counted the days would display the number of days starting from 1900 or something like that. It defeats the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish because ultimately what I would like is for the day counting cell to be empty when no dates are entered. Once the received date is entered into the spreadsheet, the counting cell starts to count the number of days a project is open. So after 6 days the cell will turn yellow. After 9 days it will turn orange, and after 13 days it will turn red. Once I enter the end date, the cell will remain whatever color it was when I completed the task. When I open my spreadsheet I can see two things: 1. how many days current projects have been projects open and 2. what the average amount of time it takes to complete projects (do projects tend to be complete in less than six days or less than 13 etc).

I hope this makes more sense of what I am wanting to do. Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
Sorry, didn't see your response. Try,

=IF(AND(B2="",C2=""),"",IF(C2="",TODAY()-B2,C2-B2))

As far as cells changing color, use Conditional Formatting

Upvote 0
It did not work, I received a Circular Reference Warningmessage. When I entered the formula a 0 automatically populated and when Ientered an originally received date, the spreadsheet did not calculate thedays.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back