Making Teams for Captains

Beavis97

Ok I have a spreadsheet that randomizes names and places them into groups. So F9-F31 is the list of names. H9-H31 is the group number. I would like to take the names for group 1 for instance and place them under someone's name. Same for group 2 and so on. I'm not really sure how to just extract names with groups numbers next to them

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Welcome to the Forum!

I would like to take the names for group 1 for instance and place them under someone's name.

I think you will need to expand on this a little before anyone can give you some practical advice.

Upvote 0
I have columns like this as an example

names Group Team Captain 1 Team Captain 2
Mike 1
Don 1
Tommy 2
Angela 2
Mel 3
Robert 3

so what I'm looking for is for the spreadsheet to take everyone with a 1 in the group column to be listed under team captain 1. Everyone with a group 2 under team captain 2 and so forth.

Upvote 0
NamesGroupTeam Captain 1Team Captain 2Team Captain 3
John1
Mike1
Jose2
Robert2
Tommy3

<colgroup><col span="3"><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

so what I'm looking for is for the spreadsheet to take everyone with a 1 in the group column to be listed under team captain 1. Everyone with a group 2 under team captain 2 and so forth.

The reason I need it to do it for me is because the people are added to groups by random, so as I randomize the names, the group will change and thus the team captain will change

Upvote 0
Hi Beavis,
Here is a simple spreadsheet type code to get you started:

It takes this

Book1
ABCD
1names Group Team Captain 1 Team Captain 2Team Captain 1Team Captain 2Team Captain 3
2Mike 1
3Don 1
4Tommy 2
5Angela 2
6Mel 3
7Robert 3
Tabelle1

And after running the code you get this..

Book1
ABCD
1names Group Team Captain 1 Team Captain 2Team Captain 1Team Captain 2Team Captain 3
2Mike 1MikeTommyMel
3Don 1DonAngelaRobert
4Tommy 2
5Angela 2
6Mel 3
7Robert 3
Tabelle1

Code:

Code:
[color=darkblue]Option[/color] [color=darkblue]Explicit[/color]
[color=darkblue]Sub[/color] TeamsforCaptainsSpreadsheet()
  [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] wks [color=darkblue]As[/color] Worksheet: [color=darkblue]Set[/color] wks = ActiveSheet
  [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] Name [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], LastName [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], TempLastName [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], TempNameOnly [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color] [color=green]'Variables for names[/color]
  [color=darkblue]Let[/color] LastName = wks.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row [color=green]'Go to end of sheet in first column, come back up to last entry, get row thereof[/color]
  [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] Captain [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], lastCaptain [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color] [color=green]'Variables for captains[/color]
  [color=darkblue]Let[/color] lastCaptain = wks.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column [color=green]'Go to end of sheet in first row, come back from right to left to last entry, get colun thereof[/color]
    [color=green]'go a loopin in a loop[/color]
    [color=darkblue]For[/color] Name = 2 [color=darkblue]To[/color] LastName [color=darkblue]Step[/color] 1 [color=green]'go along each name and for each name..[/color]
      [color=darkblue]For[/color] Captain = 2 [color=darkblue]To[/color] lastCaptain [color=darkblue]Step[/color] 1 [color=green]'..go along each captain...[/color]
        [color=darkblue]If[/color] Right(wks.Cells(Name, 1).Value, 1) = Right(wks.Cells(1, Captain).Value, 1) [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=green]' look for match in last number bit[/color]
          [color=darkblue]Let[/color] TempLastName = wks.Cells(Rows.Count, Captain).End(xlUp).Row [color=green]'..get last name row in captain column[/color]
          [color=darkblue]Let[/color] TempNameOnly = Left(wks.Cells(Name, 1).Value, (Len(wks.Cells(Name, 1).Value) - 1)) [color=green]'Chop off number[/color]
          [color=darkblue]Let[/color] wks.Cells(TempLastName + 1, Captain).Value = TempNameOnly [color=green]'tag the name on at the appropriate place[/color]
        [color=darkblue]Else[/color]
        [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]
      [color=darkblue]Next[/color] Captain [color=green]'go to next captain[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Next[/color] Name [color=green]'go to next name[/color]
[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color]

. I was writing this and another one a bit better when you re – replied so looks like you’re in a ‘urry…

..so see How you get on with this for now.

. Maybe catch you again later

Alan

Upvote 0
oh well no, not in a hurry at all, it just didn't look good the first time I posted it, so I reposted it as a more readable version

Upvote 0
ABCDEF
NamesGroupTeam Captain 1Team Captain 2Team Captain 3
Mike1
Don1
Tommy2
Angela2
Mel3
Robert3

<tbody>
</tbody>

This actually looks much better, I guess I should have use this form. At any rate, will your code work for this? this is what is actually looks like on the original spreadsheet

Upvote 0
.......oh well no, not in a hurry at all, it just didn't look good the first time I posted it, so I reposted it as a more readable version......... At any rate, will your code work for this? this is what is actually looks like on the original spreadsheet

OK, no prob..;)

This modified code:-

Code:
[color=darkblue]Option[/color] [color=darkblue]Explicit[/color]
[color=darkblue]Sub[/color] TeamsforCaptainsSpreadsheet()
  [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] wks [color=darkblue]As[/color] Worksheet: [color=darkblue]Set[/color] wks = ActiveSheet
  [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] Name [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], LastName [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], TempLastName [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], TempNameOnly [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]String[/color] [color=green]'Variables for names[/color]
  [color=darkblue]Let[/color] LastName = wks.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row [color=green]'Go to end of sheet in first column, come back up to last entry, get row thereof[/color]
  [color=darkblue]Dim[/color] Captain [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color], lastCaptain [color=darkblue]As[/color] [color=darkblue]Long[/color] [color=green]'Variables for captains[/color]
  [color=darkblue]Let[/color] lastCaptain = wks.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column [color=green]'Go to end of sheet in first row, come back from right to left to last entry, get colun thereof[/color]
    [color=green]'go a loopin in a loop[/color]
    [color=darkblue]For[/color] Name = 2 [color=darkblue]To[/color] LastName [color=darkblue]Step[/color] 1 [color=green]'go along each name and for each name..[/color]
      [color=darkblue]For[/color] Captain = 3 [color=darkblue]To[/color] lastCaptain [color=darkblue]Step[/color] 1 [color=green]'..go along each captain...[/color]
        Debug.Print wks.Cells(Name, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value & "  " & Right(wks.Cells(1, Captain).Value, 1)
        [color=darkblue]If[/color] [color=darkblue]CStr[/color](wks.Cells(Name, 1).Offset(0, 1).Value) = Right(wks.Cells(1, Captain).Value, 1) [color=darkblue]Then[/color] [color=green]' look for match in last number bit[/color]
          [color=darkblue]Let[/color] TempLastName = wks.Cells(Rows.Count, Captain).End(xlUp).Row [color=green]'..get last name row in captain column[/color]
          [color=darkblue]Let[/color] wks.Cells(TempLastName + 1, Captain).Value = wks.Cells(Name, 1).Value [color=green]'tag the name on at the appropriate place[/color]
        [color=darkblue]Else[/color] [color=green]'Do nothing for no match[/color]
        [color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]If[/color]
      [color=darkblue]Next[/color] Captain [color=green]'go to next captain[/color]
    [color=darkblue]Next[/color] Name [color=green]'go to next name[/color]
[color=darkblue]End[/color] [color=darkblue]Sub[/color] [color=green]'TeamsforCaptainsSpreadsheet()[/color]

Takes this

Book1
ABCDEF
1NamesGroupTeam Captain 1Team Captain 2Team Captain 3
2Mike1
3Don1
4Tommy2
5Angela2
6Mel3
7Robert3
Tabelle2

And after running the code you get this:

Book1
ABCDEF
1NamesGroupTeam Captain 1Team Captain 2Team Captain 3
2Mike1MikeTommyMel
3Don1DonAngelaRobert
4Tommy2
5Angela2
6Mel3
7Robert3
Tabelle2

..Might be “off” shortly for a while..

. Let me know ‘ow you get on.

. Any problems I’ll “sort you out’ maybe tomorrow if no one else picks the Thread up.

Alan
Bavaria

Upvote 0
Do you really need a macro?
Are you using Excel 2010 or later? (If not, this could be modified)
Could the team numbers go in a separate row? (If not, this could be modified)

Formula in D3 is copied across & Down.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
1NamesGroupTeam CaptainTeam CaptainTeam Captain
3Mike1MikeTommyMel
4Don1DonAngelaRobert
5Tommy2
6Angela2
7Mel3
8Robert3
Teams

Reactions: shg
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back