Running Macros on Foreign Computers

Excel2015

Greetings everyone,

I'm a long time googler but this is my first time asking a question.

I have written macros for a tool that pulls information from an Access database (230,000+ lines) into the excel file, processes it based on what the user inputs, then spits it out the processed data in another excel file. It was intended to be used globally by my company however when my coworkers in India and Europe have tried to use it, they get error '32809'. At first I thought it was because they were running it on a 32 bit system but IT set up another computer for me with those specs and it worked fine once I changed the format of the access database to .mdb. I developed the tool in US Excel 2010 and it is being used on 2007/2010 globally.

It also has many layers of protection (the sheets themselves, the workbook, and the macros in VBA). I am going to try to rearrange the code so it protects on opening after compiling then unprotects on close to see if that changes anything. It has to be protected to maintain the integrity of the file because many users are technologically challenged.

I've started to wonder if there could be a language/region issue?

Unfortunately I can't post the code exactly but I can try to give as many examples as possible if it will help. Its mostly a lot of ifs and loops.

I greatly appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
At the moment, that error tends to indicate an issue with ActiveX controls on worksheets. Does your tool use them?

Upvote 0
make up a very small spreadsheet and single macro with no protection, get it working for you, then ask an Indian employee to try it out, and report back

Upvote 0
Yes, it does use ActiveX and forms too. Forgot to mention that, sorry.

I will go through an unprotect all of the activeX buttons (the code is locked anyway) and see if that works. Thanks for the idea!

I will let you know if it works in a moment.

Upvote 0
Unprotecting the buttons did not help. :(

There is another tool I have made that they use that has the ActiveX buttons and it works most of the time. Sometimes it throws that error when I send an updated copy. It seems like if the macro has run before in the file on that computer, the computer is fine with it but if it is a new copy of the macro and it has not run the macro, it throws that error. Another note, sometimes if they open and close it a few times it starts to work and is fine from then on.

This is not the case on the US computers. I'm going to be remote controlling my European coworker's computer tomorrow to see if I can find anything different.

Thanks for your support so far.

Upvote 0
I think you're running into the problems with the December updates and ActiveX - see here: Office Update breaks ActiveX controls | Excel Matters

Basically, the code won't work reliably unless all computers have the updates applied (or all don't have it) and you have run the fix on all of them.

Upvote 0
Yes, that update made my buttons unclickable but I didn't know it would throw this error too. I'll get IT on it.

I'll let you know if it works, thanks!

Upvote 0
Ok, I just finished a session with my European coworker and if I remove the below code, the tool loaded fine (except once it was done the buttons didn't do anything so IT will look into the update bug).

Sheets("Entry").Protect "edit", UserInterfaceOnly:=True
Sheets("Entry").EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells
I have this line of code being applied to 8 other sheets.

It also throws an error on this:

st = WorksheetFunction.CountA(Sheets("review").Range("B:B")) - 4

chky = Sheets("review").Range("I1")

I just noticed I do not have Option Explicit on every module or on the macros in "ThisWorkbook" so I will add that onto the list of possibilities.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cocolasticot50

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back