Rename/Change column label

sgrho1

Can anyone tell me how to change the column label? For example, I want to change Column "A" to Column "Name". I thought I knew, but I can't figure it out. :oops: Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the board!

What do you mean by 'cell reference identifier'? Where is this found in earlier versions?

This was answered by Kevin Carvel (Post No.406902) as answer to question raised for change in column name .. See Below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Rename/Change column label

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
click column "A", then click Insert/Name/Define and then type the name

alternatively, you can click column "A" and then click on the cell reference identifier, then type the name directly.

- Kevin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to change the name of Columns A,B, C, D.... which are default in Excel. How can one change the name of Columns as he wants. e.g. Column A name should appears as Ashish, Column B as parekh etc.

I know to by changing to R1C1 ref. one get the column numbers as 1, 2, 3.... inplace of A, B, C..
So can we get the desired (user defined ) name of columns A, B, C, D.... etc.

Ashish

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi

Ok, the 1st method suggests Insert > Name > Define. On the ribbon you would go Formulas > Name Manager (on Defined Names tab). Then you would click new, give it a name and enter the range in the text box called 'Refers to'.

The 2nd method listed is unchanged. The cel reference identifier (or Name Box as I know it as) is still available and located in the usual spot.

Upvote 0
lLVIl.png

Upvote 0
Welcome to the board.

I'm afraid no you can't. But you ca use row 1 to hold your labels and then hide row/column headers (view tab, uncheck 'Headings').

Upvote 0
Hi i'm seeng this post and I have the same question, I know it's posible here an example
wTTr1.jpg

1tIJK.jpg

It uses the title form a table to change the headings

So, anyone knows how to do this?

Greatings,

Upvote 0
I agree it's possible because I found a spreadsheet that does the same thing, but I cannot determine the creator or owner. The column names actually show as normal (A,B,C) until it is scrolled up and then they take the name of the header row. Pretty cool and I want to emulate it.

Upvote 0
This is possible, if a little conviluted.

Once you have your table somewhat finalized (with what you want your columns named in the top row), highlight all the cells in your table. Under the Home tab in excel, you should see Format as table as an option. Pick whatever style you want and it will ask for the range of data in your table. It should be what you highlighted. Make sure you check the box "My table has headers" This will mimic what the last poster was looking at when he scrolls down and the column names change. If you want it to always look like this, just hide row 1.

The only issue with this is you are now working inside a table, and it can do some odd auto formatting. (but it can also save you alot of time.. change the formula in one cell, and it changes all of them in that column)

Upvote 0
I agree it's possible because I found a spreadsheet that does the same thing, but I cannot determine the creator or owner. The column names actually show as normal (A,B,C) until it is scrolled up and then they take the name of the header row. Pretty cool and I want to emulate it.

Yes! This is exactly what I was looking to do.. Only way I can get that to happen is when I export a table from Access "with formatting".. None of the solutions I've found in this thread replicate this.. Anyone know how to do this?

Upvote 0
I'm afraid that in 14 years of using Excel I've never seen that. I see the image above that shows it's possible but I'm almost sure it's not part of Excels native functionality. Perhaps it's a customisation using Win API? I don't very much see the point of adding the extra complexity when you can store labels in row 1 in your sheet, format them to look good and then hide headings from the View tab on the Ribbon.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back