GerryZ

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
hello Excel gurus
I'm stuck
All I need a formula in F2 to copy across and down that choose
from the first criteria (AAA) the oldest date in (AAA) and than ritrieve the name of the student and the corrisponding date
I Made a formula with INDEX MAX IF but does't work

Book1
ABCDEFG
1criteriostudentdateacriteriostudentoldest data
2aaastudent115/01/2015aaastudent217/01/2018
3aaastudent217/01/2018bbbstudent522/01/2016
4aaastudent316/01/2015cccstudent1112/04/2016
5bbbstudent415/01/2014
6bbbstudent522/01/2016
7bbbstudent618/01/2015
8bbbstudent718/01/2014
9bbbstudent821/01/2014
10cccstudent907/06/2015
11cccstudent1014/07/2015
12cccstudent1112/04/2016
13cccstudent1213/02/2015
14cccstudent1311/03/2015
Sheet5

Thank You XOR LX
Just last thing..
Your formula works fine but the problem is that your formula are very ADVANCED they are few steps above the regular formula (too cleaver)
so let's say for some people (like me) Excel is allready difficult and the best think to do when is possible is to find a formula with easier sintax and more understandable.
Your Excel level is very ADVANCED and all your formula works perfectly and I saw in your website the way you expalin the formula EXCELLENT!
but when i lookup for a formula I don't need just COPY and PASTE but i need to understand the formula
ciao GerryZ

I appreciate that, Gerry, and it's a very valid point that you make. We should always try (and especially when posting on public forums) to make our formulas not just as efficient, but also as understandable to the average Excel user as possible.

And so I sympathise with your sentiments when you say that you would actually prefer a slightly longer, slightly less efficient formula over a more concise (and potentially more efficient) one, particularly if the latter is, as you say, not exactly easy to decipher. It's you that will potentially need to amend/error-check the formula should something in your dataset change, so it makes perfect sense that you should want to understand in full how each part of that formula works.

But I hope you can also understand that I did not simply post my solution for the sake of it, or because I was "trying to be clever". Despite its looking, at first glance, quite complex, it is in fact a reasonably straightforward construction, at least once you begin to understand how the functions which it employs operate.

And remember that you're seeing that formula for the first time: I recall that the first time I saw an array formula - most likely similar to the MAX/IF one here - I had to spend literally days trying to work out how it worked! So there's nothing to say that the same won't also apply to an understanding of the construction I've used here.

Anyway, if you do one day feel like an explanation as to how it works, just reply in this thread and I'll be happy to go through it.

Regards

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
WoooW!
Ok would be nice learn this concept of formula
I know you are a good teacher but at first approch seems to be difficult formula..
maybe as you said the first time to learn a new concept is difficilt but then....
so if you are so generous to teach me thi formula a woud really apprecite
thnk you in advance
PS let's see if I've to buy the 2 beer when you arrive in Milan!!:cool:

Upvote 0
Actually, I've been so inspired by this conversation that I've decided to write an article on it at my site.

So how about I post a link here to that article when I'm finished? It might be better that way, as there's only a certain amount of space I feel I should use when posting on this forum, and it will in any case make a nice post!

PS let's see if I've to buy the 2 beer when you arrive in Milan!!:cool:

Won't say no to that!

Cheers! (y)

Upvote 0
In the meantime, if you really don't like the look of my solution using LOOKUP, and you're insistent on not using CSE, it is possible to tweak your AGGREGATE set-up, viz:

=INDEX(B$2:B$14,MATCH(AGGREGATE(14,6,$C$2:$C$14/($A$2:$A$14=$E2),1),MMULT(($A$2:$A$14=$E2)*$C$2:$C$14,1),0))

though it's arguable that this is no less complex than my previous solution - perhaps even more so!

Regards

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Woow!! You maintained you promises. I asked you to explain me the formula that I posted and here we are, you made excellent explanation in your website...
�� Mr.XOR LX. You are top one excel expert… Waiting for next formula thank you
PS. Anyway today I red already your answer, because I got an alert e mail anytime you post new formula in your website
Thank you ��

Upvote 0
Is your data sorted by Column A (Criterio), in ascending order, as per your example? If so, here's a different approach that uses a single defined name to refer to each respective range.

A1:G14

criterio
student
datea
criterio
student
oldest data
aaa
student1
1/15/15
aaa
student3
1/16/15
aaa
student2
1/17/12
bbb
student5
1/22/16
aaa
student3
1/16/15
ccc
student11
4/12/16
bbb
student4
1/15/14
bbb
student5
1/22/16
bbb
student6
1/18/15
bbb
student7
1/18/14
bbb
student8
1/21/14
ccc
student9
6/07/15
ccc
student10
7/14/15
ccc
student11
4/12/16
ccc
student12
2/13/15
ccc
student13
3/11/15

<tbody>
</tbody>

First, select cell F2. Then define the following name (Ribbon > Formulas > Defined Names > Define Name)...

Code:
Name:  MyRange

Refers to:  =INDEX($B$2:$C$14,MATCH($E2,$A$2:$A$14,0),1):INDEX($B$2:$C$14,MATCH($E2,$A$2:$A$14,1),2)

Click OK

Then try...

F2, copied down:

=INDEX(MyRange,MATCH(G2,INDEX(MyRange,0,2),0),1)

G2, copied down:

=MAX(INDEX(MyRange,0,2))

Or, if you prefer, using a single formula...

F2, copied down and over to the next column:

=INDEX(MyRange,MATCH(MAX(INDEX(MyRange,0,2)),INDEX(MyRange,0,2),0),COLUMNS($F2:F2))

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back