morefunc indirect.ext

This is a discussion on morefunc indirect.ext within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; i'm trying to take advantage of the indirect.ext function in the morefunc.xla add-in. it's a great tool. my question is ...

Default morefunc indirect.ext

i'm trying to take advantage of the indirect.ext function in the morefunc.xla add-in. it's a great tool. my question is this: when the file my function is referencing closes, i only get one good set of numbers. upon a recalculation, all computations return with the #REF! error like the book does not exist. i think my syntax is right. what am i doing wrong?

my formula looks like this (Q5 in example):

=INDIRECT.EXT("[WTR04.xls]"&P5&"!$BN$34")

if i use the full path as suggested by the formula, my formula looks like this (Q4 in the example):

=INDIRECT.EXT("C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\[WTR04.xls]Mar04!BK35")

the latter equation will always return the #REF! error. i've read mr longre's help files, but can't seem to nail down what i'm doing wrong here. an example looks like this:

******** ******************** ************************************************************************>
    Microsoft Excel - TKN Loading Send 04-05.xls___Running: xl2002 XP : OS = Windows XP
    (F)ile (E)dit (V)iew (I)nsert (O)ptions (T)ools (D)ata (W)indow (H)elp (A)bout
    =

P
    Q
    R
    S
    dategal.tkn.lbs.
    Mar04#REF!******63.00*#REF!
    Apr04#REF!******52.20*#REF!
    Farm1*

[HtmlMaker 2.42] To see the formula in the cells just click on the cells hyperlink or click the Name box
    PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS TABLE IMAGE ON SAME PAGE! OTHEWISE, ERROR OF JavaScript OCCUR.

as it stands i'm utilizing the first of the two equations and trying not to recalculuate when using this workbook, but that is growing cumbersome as it's evolved to a 'daily-entry' type workbook.

if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, i'd love to hear them. thanks!
    Regards,
    Zack Barresse
    My book on Excel Tables
    ExcelTables.com
    All Excel Functions
    (If you would like comments in any code, please say so.)

MrExcel MVP

Default Re: morefunc indirect.ext

I have never used this before but after looking at the help file, your syntax looks like it's missing the single quotes:

This is the example from the help file:
    =INDIRECT.EXT("'C:\My Documents\[Workbook5.xls]Sheet1'!A9")

Based on your 2nd sample and the help file, maybe:
    =INDIRECT.EXT("'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\[WTR04.xls]Mar04'!BK35")

HOTPEPPER!!!

that was it! oh my, it is the little things isn't it! i really missed those didn't i ! thank you!
    Regards,
    Zack Barresse
    My book on Excel Tables
    ExcelTables.com
    All Excel Functions
    (If you would like comments in any code, please say so.)

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others